1.4

She coughed loudly, then blew her nose, using her mucust-filled tissue. Hazel was barely awake, and she hated herself for deciding to go to work that day. Michael had been taking over her shifts for the past couple of days since she was skipping work, and he didn't mind at all because he was getting paid extra, but Hazel did not like that. She was most definitely not jealous of the fact he was getting paid, but it was because she wasn't a fan of the fact that Michael would be spending his own time taking over her shift just because she was feeling ill. It just didn't seem fair to her.

This led to Hazel texting Michael and insisting that she was feeling a lot better, which she was, but she was still undeniably sick, and that she was able to take care of her shifts from now on. Michael, on the other hand, tried everything to change her mind, but that, of course, didn't work. Plus, Michael had agreed to move in with a couple of his friends, so she wanted him to settle in.

Now, Hazel stood behind the cash register, and could easily be mistaken for dressing up in a zombie costume; she looked that bad. There was only an hour left till she could go back home, and nothing particularly interesting had took place, not that she had expected anything moderately exhilarating to occur in the tedious and noiseless supermarket, and she was very much looking forward to be able to go back home. It was all just so lifeless that she could even fall asleep, so Hazel, being Hazel, figured that it would do no harm at all if she rested her head on the counter, as it wouldn't matter if she fell asleep or not.

"I thought you were aware of how unprofessional it is to fall asleep during your job, babe," a very familiar spoke, interrupting the silence that Hazel was immensely appreciating, which lasted for a short five minutes, and her immediate response was a loud groan.

After pushing herself up so that she was standing straight, she made eye contact with Luke for a good ten seconds, annoyed by the smirk that was tugged upon his lips, before tearing her attention from him but to the the floor, a nauseating dark brown with black stains upon it which may be from stale oil, dry chewing gum or some worst defilement.

"Are you feeling better, love?" Luke continued, questioning her, and the concern in his voice was definite. He seemed to be leaning in on the counter, so that he was closer to Hazel with his head slightly tilted.

Hazel did not respond to him, and instead continued looking at the ground, and then to the different aisles with apparent engrossment. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as he finally understood that Hazel was actually disregarding him, and said, laughing, "Wait, wait, I'm confused. Why are you ignoring me?"

Again, Hazel didn't answer him, but did look him in the eye with disgust written all over her face. "Okay, I'm genuinely confused," Luke sighed, "What did I do wrong this time?"

She scoffed, her eyes widening at how stupid he seemed to be acting, "You didn't come back."

"What?" Luke asked, with his nose scrunched up and his eyebrows knitted close together in thought as he frowned, staring wordlessly at her.

"Remember when you popped into my apartment yesterday, and then left me, saying that you'll be back as soon as possible," Hazel explained to the clueless boy, "You never did."

"Well, that's stupid," Luke laughed, feeling relieved.

"Yeah, stupid of you," Hazel added, shaking her head.

"No, no," He disagreed, "I meant the reason you're supposedly mad at me is stupid."

She pursed her lips, clearly feeling hurt by what he had just said, "Well then, maybe you shouldn't have come in the first place, since all of it was all so stupid."

"That's not what I said Hazel-"

"You've said enough," She cut him off, her lips trembling, then grabbing the box of - dear god, send Luke help - condoms from Luke's hand and scanning them impatiently.

"I know why you're acting this way," Luke said, crossing his arms over his chest as he felt confident, "It's because you're on your monthly period thing."

"You obviously want me to punch you in the face," Hazel scowled, glaring at him, "Luke, I've stayed awake, just sitting on the couch, waiting for you to come right in and make me feel better. I don't know why I did, but I did, and you just claiming that it was stupid of me to be angry at you because of that makes me feel worse than I already am. Okay, maybe that was something stupid to do, because you obviously don't even care."

"Look, I'm just confused," Luke said.

"I'm as confused as you are!" Hazel raised her voice, frustrated by him.

"What do you mean?" He exhaled, rubbing his face.

"Luke," Hazel spoke, "You've been kissing my cheeks, and calling me love or babe, and hugging me very tightly, and you've been starting to feel so comfortable towards me. God dammit, Luke, you've got a key to my house."

"Hazel," Luke chuckled, "Those don't mean a thing."

"To you, they don't," Hazel muttered, looking down.

"Huh?" Luke asked. She handed him a plastic bag, which held his purchased item, her face emotionless as she spoke in a monotone voice, "That'll be ten dollars, sir."

Luke sighed in defeat, paying for the condoms as he carried the bag in his hand. Then, he turned around, leaving the supermarket without saying another word to Hazel.

-

After exiting the supermarket and locking the doors to it, she immediately started walking to her apartment, as she felt shitty. It was quiet, and Hazel liked the quiet, and so a smile was spread along her lips, despite how horrible she was feeling at that moment. All her problems seemed to have disappeared as she just observed what was around her; she did that quite a lot. But the quietness did not last long as her phone began vibrating in her pocket, making her exhale loudly.

"Hello?" She answered, pressing the phone to her ear.

"Hey, Hazel!" Ashton replied to her enthusiastically, "How are you, man?"

"I'm okay, I guess," sighed Hazel, "Just confused about everything."

"You sound like you need to get your mind off of things," He spoke, "Well, we're having band practice today, and I'd be really happy if you're able to come."

"I don't know, Ashton," Hazel responded to him truthfully, "I'm also really tired."

"Please," He begged, "You can stay for a couple of hours, tell us what you think of our band; it'll be really fun, I promise."

"Fine," Hazel agreed, despite the fact that she had a bad feeling about it.

"Yay!" cheered Ashton, giggling afterwards.

"Yeah, yeah," She rolled her eyes, but allowed a smile to tug on her lips, "Don't start complaining when I ruin your day."

"Think positively, Hazel," Ashton laughed, "Are you busy right now?"

"Nope, I just left work and I'm heading back home," Hazel replied, walking slowly through the empty streets.

"Cool, then you can come over now, I'll text you the address," Ashton said.

"Can I please just stop by my apartment and make myself look a bit more presentable?" Hazel whined. She wanted to make a good impression on Ashton's bandmates, which didn't make sense to her because she generally did not care what people thought of her.

"Hazel, I'm sure you look fine," Ashton replied to her immediately, "I'll see you in a few minutes!"

-

ok pls excuse this horrible update but it's 4am and i can't go to sleep buT im so tired but yeah

i did not even bother reading this again and edit it so yeah ignore any mistakes or shit

ALSO WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU GUYS BC THIS HIT ONE MILLION THAT'S A LOT AND I LOVE YOU GUYS A LOT SO THANKS A LOT