0.6

rewritten.

also unedited.

Hazel

"Explain to me the situation once more," Liz asked, bringing up the cup of tea she held between her fingers to her lips.

Hazel took a deep breath, preparing herself to explain the entire story to her neighbor, Liz, once more, "Okay, so I was at the supermarket I work in and I had a date, like, half an hour after my shift, so I had to hurry. I was late because I had this annoying customer who was bothering me," Hazel rolled her eyes, taking a sip from the warm cup of unsweetened tea Liz had made, "So when I realized I was late, I literally threw things into my purse, forgetting my keys."

"Ah," Liz nodded understandingly.

"So then when I was walking home, there was a rainstorm, meaning I was soaked and late, so I had arrived to my apartment, saw my date standing at the door, freaked out, and then we went back to his place-" Hazel continued, but was cut off by Liz.

"You didn't have sex, did you?" Her eyes were widened in concern.

Hazel gasped, "It was a first date, Mrs Hemmings!"

"I was just checking," laughed Liz, "Continue."

"Okay, the next morning, we had breakfast at this diner place, and then my date dropped me off at the supermarket and then left because he to go," Hazel continued, "Anyway, I went to the supermarket and saw my co-worker, Anna, and she looked all around the counter, and I did too, and it was nowhere to be found. So I went back here, to the front desk, and they told me I didn't have proof that I owned the apartment even though I gave them as much proof as they could possibly have."

"And how could I help?" Liz tilted her head.

"I.. don't know," Hazel sighed in defeat.

"You could always spend the night here, you know," Mrs Hemmings suggested, a big smile on her face.

"That would be lovely, but-" Hazel began, but was interrupted by the house door being slammed.

"Mom," She heard an extremely familiar voice, "I've got the groceries."

Then came in Luke, holding two plastic bags in his hands. He looked up and abruptly stopped, his eyes widening at the sight of Hazel sitting in his mother's kitchen.

"Oh, Hazel," Mrs Hemmings chirped, "This is my son Luke I was talking to you about." Liz quickly walked towards Luke, and pushed him forward so that he was closer to Hazel.

"He isn't as handsome as you described him," Hazel commented, trying very hard to hide the smirk that threatened to be tugged on her lips.

Luke gave her a death glare, but then turned around to face his mother, pressing a soft kiss on her head before setting the plastic bags on the counter. A very loud and obnoxious ring tone erupted, startling all of them.

"That's my phone," sighed Liz, before walking out the kitchen.

Hazel and Luke awkwardly sat at the barstools near the kitchen counter, none of them really bothering to start a conversation.

"Um, not meaning to sound rude or anything," Luke began, "But why are you here?"

"I live right next door," Hazel pointed out quickly.

"Yeah, I know that, but why are you here?" Luke continued to ask.

"How'd you know I live right next door?" countered Hazel, arching an eyebrow upwards.

"Well, my mom obviously lives here so I noticed you coming in and out of your apartment," Luke sighed, "Now, why are you here?"

"Rude," Hazel rolled her eyes, "And I lost my keys, so I'm spending the night here until my dad comes back tomorrow morning."