CHAPTER THIRTEEN : CONFUSED BY THE NIGHT

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

CONFUSED BY THE NIGHT TOBIAS’S POV

--

I want you to know that I’ve got your back

Even when the whole foundation seems cracked

Two punk kids up against the world

Ya trouble, there goes trouble

—Mikky Ekko, “Pull Me Down”

--

As they say, there are choices in your life, which define who you are. I was never one to let anyone or anything define me but myself. Once I came to Dauntless, I immediately felt an insurgence of life in me. It was the defining moment of everything I had worked for. Every day I would work harder and harder, getting faster and stronger than ever before. There was, however, one thing – or should I say someone – that got in the way.

Imara Ember.

She was, from the first day we met, someone I knew I had to protect, without knowing the true reason why at the time. Once her golden eyes were revealed, I knew what the secret was that I had to keep. They weren't contacts like those of Dauntless would expect, and even the former Erudite didn't catch on as I'm sure they never had access to the archives.

She brings out something different in me. She was weak in body at first, but strong in mind. Extremely stubborn and blunt, but never rude. Her persistence annoyed me only in the way she was reckless, but I can't say I'm not guilty of the same. On several occasions, I've told her to be careful, though she never thought twice that I might know why she should.

I knew I could never get too close to her. I can't get close to anyone really, because I'm not one for idle interaction. But somehow, I got sorted into a group of people unconsciously. They were the first I've truly cared for in Dauntless.

There was Imara – which I had only wanted to keep my eye on until I was sure she could handle her own.

Darcie – one of Imara’s closest friends since entering the faction. She is just as reckless, but is more prominent in her forceful actions, which makes people like me feel obligated to protect her.

Will – though formerly Erudite, he sometimes takes things to the extremes. Sometimes I believe that he chose this faction solely for the change, not on the test results. His strategic planning in battle tactics has helped in after hours training.

Eric – not really a friend but more of an associate. Very competitive and disturbingly ruthless. We don't get along in the slightest, and I could say I hate him and he'd feel the same. Yet I admit, we have common aspirations including the need to protect and succeed in doing so.

Tension rose among many of us after the first results came out and I’d come out first, with Eric below me. Peter, who had been third, had grown an immediate disliking to me. This only irked me further when he was paired with Imara, but it was my fault after all. If I hadn't have chosen to be on my own in training, then he wouldn't have been paired with her, but I would have. He takes his anger out on everyone in his wake, so it was a difficult sight to see with him and Imara, but she held the situation very well, knocking him straight to the floor.

I must have underestimated her.

The games were another story… none of the fears thrown my way had bothered me like they did others. That is, until the last one.

Imara was right in front of me and we had been acting on the offensive line in pursuit of the other team’s flag. Surprisingly, she hadn't been scared once, besides a minor freak out with quicksand. I'd assumed that some of the fears were taken from others and projected on one or two others simultaneously. I couldn't let anyone see me vulnerable because of my fear, so when it hit me I had to make Imara move on ahead.