CHAPTER FOUR : UNCONVENTIONAL

CHAPTER FOUR :

UNCONVENTIONAL — DARCIE’S POV

--

I don’t care if it hurts

I want to have control

I want a perfect body

I want a perfect soul

I want you to notice when I’m not around

—Radiohead, “Creep”

--

A large, white tiger appeared before me.  For a moment, I stood there and studied the intricate stripes upon its back. They were arranged almost symmetrically. But the tiger’s low growling quickly redirected my attention to the situation at hand. The tiger’s upper lip had curled, revealing, large pink gums and razor-sharp teeth. I didn’t want to even imagine what those fangs could do to a human skull.

Before I had a second to make my decision, the tiger lunged for me, knocking me onto the ground.

I tried pushing it off, but it continued snapping its jaws right in front of my face, its sharp teeth grazing my skin slightly.

I was dead, I thought to myself as the tiger continued to tear at parts of my skin.

You chose the knife… remember?

I gripped the knife tightly in my hand, but as soon as I raised it, I threw my arm back down.

I can’t do it. I couldn’t bring myself to kill the tiger.

The immense weight of the tiger immediately disappeared along with the harsh growling. Hesitant, I opened my eyes.

A small girl, around the age of five or so, stood before me and outstretched her hand in my direction. I took her hand hesitantly and stood up.

She blinked her eyes several times before flashing an innocent smile and skipping off on her way.

“Wait—” I began to warn her… but it was too late. The tiger lunged for her, slicing the side of her face open on its way.

“Help!” she squealed and took off in a sprint. However, she quickly tripped and fell flat to the floor.

The tiger eyed her hungrily, still growling incessantly as he slowly approached her.

I had to do something, I thought to myself. I wasn’t about to let an innocent child die before my own eyes. I knew I only had one option.

I glanced down at my hand and was nearly blinded by the metallic glint of the blade. The handle clenched tightly in my fist, I flicked my wrist and sent the knife flying through the air.

The tiger let out a piercing howl as it began to clumsily stumble to the floor. Its original snow-white fur was now bloodstained; several drops of blood dripped onto the floor as the tiger fell face first.

I put my hands to the edge of my mouth as I stared at the sight before me. The girl struggled to push the tiger’s limp body off, but she stood back up. The side of her face was bloodied by three long claw marks. She approached me slowly and took my left hand.

“You saved me,” she said, “That was the bravest thing anyone’s ever done for me. Thank you.”

My eyes grazed the tiger’s dead body before I resumed my eye contact with the girl. “You’re welcome,” I whispered.