Interview with ShortyGirl12321

Author of the amazing Count To Ten and it's sequel, Count Your Shadows! If you haven't yet read it, go add it to your libraries! This was my interview with her!

*****

Question 1: Count To Ten is such a well loved book on Wattpad. What gave you the idea to start writing it?

I got the idea of Count to Ten when I was about twelve years old when my own dog, that I had since I was five years old, had passed away. I needed a cathartic way to deal with his loss. Just like Sarah, he was a close friend, and had a lot of mannerisms of the Shadow in Count to Ten. Once I started writing, it all just came together. It was like a way to connect with him again, while doing something I loved at the same time.

Question 2: With all well-known books, there is love and hate. How do you deal with the negative comments?

My books haven't really gotten to the point where they get negative comments. There's a difference between hate comments and constructive criticism, which some authors don't appreciate either. I love constructive criticism. It gives me the opportunity to better myself as a writer and to better my stories. With hate comments, I am hurt that someone would take their time just to hate on my story, but I know there's nothing I can do about it. I remind myself that everyone has their own opinion and so do I.

Question 3: How old were you when you started writing?

I started writing in general when I was five. I loved making up stories. They made absolutely no sense, but it didn't matter, I just loved writing. Aside from that, I started writing on Wattpad when I was about thirteen.

Question 4: Are any characters in your stories that are based on you or people you know?

Based on physical characteristics, no. Based on attitude and humor, definitely. The Scott brothers act like my cousins, since there's such a wide variety of ages in both groups. With Jennifer and Hilary, they are a combination of all my friends. Some of my friends are sporty, some are fashion obsessed, some eat tons of food yet don't gain a pound, and most are quirky. With Sarah Baker, I don't think there's one person in the world she could reflect exactly, but I think she has attributes of everyone I know.

Question 5: What was your favourite scene to write in Count To Ten, and why?

It's not a scene per se, but I loved writing the charity event. It was so much fun to put Sarah in an awkward position; in a world she knows nothing about. There were a lot of questions and feelings brought up and also resolved in the charity event. Plus, the change in point of views was something different and interesting, and most of my readers enjoyed it.

Question 6: What advice would you give to beginner writers?

If anyone has some, I'll take it haha. Um, I would say don't compare your writing to anyone else's. Remember that your first piece of writing will never be perfect. Your first draft is supposed to be terrible, that's where you get all of your ideas out in the open, and then it's time for the revisions, and more revisions. A cliche here and there is fine as long as your make it your own, but if you have cliches everywhere it will be unrelatable, and that's what most people are looking for, something to relate to. Most importantly, make it your own.

Question 7: Do you prefer reading or writing, and why?

Don't make me choose. Can't we just agree that it's a good problem to have? Haha. Um... When I find a book that I like, I read it within a day. So, when that happens, I'd say reading, because it enables me to have copious amounts of adventures while preserving my essential laziness. I'm just kidding, I workout. But, on the other hand, I love writing, because I can determine what will happen in the story, and it's a way for me to vent in a way that's constructive. So, I'll pick Option C: Both.

Finally, Question 8: Is their anything that you'd like to say to your fans?

I'd just like to say that I love all of my fans. Thank you so much for standing by me, and enjoying my story as much as I love writing for you. Your votes/fans/comments encourage me and make me so happy. So, thank you. That seems really lame for extensive my vocabulary is, but that's all I can come up with. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

*****

This was my interview with ShortyGirl12321.

If you want me to interview your favourite authors, please let me know through comment or private message.

Vote for more interviews!

-LastChapter