Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

Will sat upright, shoulders tense and fingers laced.

"I'm engaged to be married," he said, letting out a shaky breath.

If I wasn't already giving him my undivided attention before, I sure as hell was now. My eyes locked onto his and I felt his gaze burn through me. He was engaged? My eyes dropped down to his right hand and surely enough, there was a lustrous solid gold ring nestled between his middle and pinky finger.

"E-e-engaged?" I sputtered stupidly.

Will nodded. "Her name's Sophie. That's what I wanted to talk to you about." I frowned in confusion, unable to see where he was going with this conversation. "My father was the former CEO of the company where I work. Unfortunately, he passed two years ago. He built the company from the ground up. I mean, the man practically sold his soul to it and he'll always be remembered for it. But then the lawyer visited me the day after his funeral because he wanted to read me my father's will and it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. He told me that if I wanted to keep my inheritance and my position in the company, I'd have to marry by my twenty-eighth birthday. So I'm marrying Sophie."

My frown deepened. "So, um, what exactly do you need my help with?"

"The will. You're a lawyer, if I remember correctly. I want you to have a look at it and find any loopholes to get me out of this mess I'm in."

"Mess? You're getting married! Shouldn't you be happy?"

"But I don't want to get married! I don't want this. This is the type of marriage of convenience crap you watch in movies and read in books. It's ridiculous. I'm a modern man and I don't want marriage. Sophie and I have been dating for a year and a bit. She's great and I love her, but she's not exactly "wifey" material if you know what I mean."

I sighed. This was a lot to take in all of a sudden. "Will, I'm sorry but this sort of thing--"

"Please, Beth," he begged. Will's eyes were round like saucers and his bottom lip popped out into an ever-so-little pout. And that was enough for me. Whatever effect he was having on me, I didn't like it. If Will could make me do something by asking nicely and making an adorable face, then I didn't want to find out what he could make me do if he...

I groaned and rubbed my hands over my face. "Fine. I'll do it." A smile spread across his face that warmed my heart. What is happening to me?!

"It's just that I don't have it with me. It's at my apartment," he said. "Why don't you stop by before supper today and we'll go over it?"

I'd only known this man for less than a week and I was already contemplating going over to his home? It would be like taking everything my mother ever taught me about stranger danger and throwing it out the window.

... which I sort of already did.

"I'll be there," I said.

I was finishing reviewing my last case of the day when Luke strode into my office. "Hey Lizzie. We're going out for supper with Tilly today," he demanded.

"Do I have an option?"

"No," he said, sitting in the vacant chair across from me. He threw his legs up on my desk, knocking over a stack of papers. "I'll get that later."

I stuck my tongue out at him then returned to my work. From my peripheral vision, I saw Luke pick up my picture frame and study it as he had so many times before. I held back the question that had been nagging at the back of my mind since Friday to no avail.

"What's going on between you and Tilly?" I blurted.

I'd definitely caught him off guard because Luke whipped his head up so fast that he threw off his balance and tumbled off his chair. I threw my head back laughing. He groaned in pain and cursed under his breath.