Chapter One

Chapter 1

"Thanks for doing this, Beth. I really appreciate it," Dad said, handing me Bryce's luggage. I set the bag down on the ground beside me.

"It's not a problem. I just hope he won't be much trouble. Remember what happened last time?" I gave him a look. Bryce had his own unique way of causing trouble without necessarily meaning to.

"I've already talked to him, sweetie," Kim assured me, coming to stand beside Dad. He slid his arm around her shoulder and pulled her to his side. A sweet smile spread across her face. "I packed his clothes, pyjamas, underwear, and a toothbrush. Bryce should be alright for the next week. He's got a bit of a cold, so I put the cough medicine in his—"

I put my hand up. "I know, Kimmy. Don't worry about him. Everything's going to be fine." Kim hesitantly nodded.

I shivered. The cold December air nipped my cheeks. I glanced at my watch. It was already four o'clock in the morning. "You should call Bryce down now," I said. "Our plane leaves in an hour and the airport is half an hour away. Not to mention the roads are practically an ice rink."

"I'll get him." Kim left to call Bryce from his room, leaving Dad standing at the door with me. He turned his head and watched her as she disappeared up the stairs. He sighed happily and turned back to look at me.

"What? What's with the look?"

"What look? There's no look." I cocked an eyebrow. He sighed again. "I'm just so proud of you, Beth. You've made me proud to be your father."

"Thanks, Dad. I guess."

He smiled at me. "Are you sure you don't need help with the luggage?" Dad asked.

I shook my head. "No, I'm good. And you're wearing pyjamas. You'll freeze."

"If you insist. Be careful, sweetie. Say hi to Bonnie for me, will you?"

"Sure thing." I gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek before hauling the suitcase to my car being careful not to slip on the layers of ice covering the walkway. "You really should salt the walkway! You're just asking for a lawsuit," I called out when I reached my car. Dad chuckled.

I threw the suitcase into the trunk and sat in the driver's seat, turning the heat on full blast. Taking my gloves off, I rubbed my hands together quickly and felt as the warmth finally flowed through my palms to my fingers. I looked up at the house in front of me. Dad was really doing well for himself. He worked hard—harder than anyone I knew. After my parents divorced when I was eight, Dad met Kim. He ended up marrying the woman of his dreams and even though she wasn't my mom, she came pretty close. The myth about all step-mothers being like Cinderella's and Snow White's is exactly that—a myth. Kim was awesome, to put it simply. The news of her pregnancy came only months after their marriage and months later, Bryce joined the family.

After waiting five minutes, I honked the horn twice. Bryce emerged from the house bundled up in his winter coat. Kim followed him, making sure that his hat was secure on his head. She wrapped the scarf around tightly around his neck and pecked him on the cheek.

When Dad was offered a job as the C.E.O. of a major corporate business in Toronto, he wasted no time in packing up and moving away. It was a big deal for him, so my sisters and I didn't make a fuss. Audrey, Jane, and I all stayed with Mom in New York and to be honest, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I mean, sure, the people are rude and the streets are so busy that even at three o'clock in the morning you can hear the sound of blaring car horns, but it's New York City: the greatest city in the world. It's always so full of life and there's never a dull moment. I'm nothing if not a New Yorker, so after graduating high school, I decided against moving and I started studying law at Columbia. Even though it demanded that I sacrifice my sleep and spend nights on end with my face buried in a book, I loved every minute of it.