prologue

-

-

"dude, anya steinburg is so fit, how can you not think she is?" brian asks shawn, slapping his arm as the two boys look at the girl who's dancing around with her friends at a party. "seriously, how? she's so hot."

"she's just annoying," shawn shrugs, taking a sip of his tequila. brian looks at him. "oh, don't look at me like that, out of all the jobs she could have applied for, she did not have to apply for stage assistant in island records, i'm so sorry to tell you that."

"all the more reason you guys could become friends with benefits," brian says to him, a slight singing tune running through his voice. shawn slaps his arm, the two boys laughing. "dude, i'm kidding, but if you don't find her fit, i'm gonna go make my move."

"whatever brian, have fun, at least she's not underage," brian pulls his middle finger up at shawn, before walking over to the dance floor, where anya and her friends are. they get excited in their naturally tipsy state, dragging brian into the circle, dancing around him. shawn rolls his eyes, before turning around, and heading to get another drink.

"since when did you get back?" a girl asks shawn, noticing him at the drinks table. shawn looks at the blonde, raising his eyebrow. "oh come on, whenever you get back, i always get a booty call. why not this time?"

"i'm not interested, georgia," shawn says, filling up his glass with more tequila and lemonade. "we were a one hit wonder, move on with your life."

"is that what you do now? casual fucks? god, to think every girl was jealous of you and lauren in high school," she scoffs, folding her arms. "and now look at you, you're the furthest away from boyfriend material anyone would want."

"don't you bring high school into this," shawn mutters, rolling his eyes. "it's been two years since we all left that place, i've just had more exposure to the world than others."

"fuck you and your privileged life," georgia shoots back, glaring her blue eyes towards him. "god, you are so uptight."

"i'm the one who's uptight?" shawn says sarcastically, a laugh leaving his lips. "look at yourself, sweetie, you're the one who's complaining because i won't fuck you."

"i'm glad, you aren't that great in bed anyway," she shrugs, making the people around her laugh, before she flips her hair over her shoulder, and walks away; her heels clicking behind her. "last time i sleep with children."

"i'm older than you!" shawn scoffs behind her. "pathetic," he mutters, taking a long sip of his drink, before walking around to find someone. "hey, ian!"

"bro, hey!" ian sees shawn walking over, and embraces him into a hug. "when did you get back?"

"a couple days ago, sorry i haven't called you guys over, jet lags been bad this time," shawn chuckles. "how are you, man?"