Drama 101

He walks to the front of the class and motions for me to join him. I nervously walk to the front of the class and one of the boys trip me, but luckily I keep my balance while fighting the urge to slap him. I stand in front of Mr. Sturgis, staring up at him, as he smiles to me. I bite my lip nervously as he starts his lines.

               “If I profane with my unworthiest hand, this holy shrine, the gentle sin is this: My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.”

               My heart flutters and my adrenaline starts rushing because I knew what was coming up. With perseverance I say the next line with confidence, not wanting him to see me sweat.

               “Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much. Which mannerly devotion shows in this; for saints have hands that pilgrims do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmer’s kiss.”

               He takes my hands in his large ones and says, “Have not saints lips and holy palmers too?”

               I nod, smiling as I say, “Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.”

               “Oh, then dear saint, let lips do what hands do; they pray – grant though, lest faith turn to despair.” He says in a whimsical voice as he pushes a stray strand of hair out of my face. I gasp accidently breaking character for a second. He notices this and smiles.

               I shake my head and look up at him as I reply, “Saints do not move, though grant for prayer’s sake.”

               He comes closer to me, his face merely centimeters away from my own and I lick my lips nervously.

               “Then move not while my prayer’s effect I take.” He whispers.

               He moves even closer to me and snakes a hand around my waist, pulling my body closer to his and I can feel his muscles flex against my chest. He cups the back of my neck in his other hand, causing my heart rate to increase. I brace myself for impact as he keeps moving closer and closer. I can feel his breath on lips and his lips graze my own.