Chapter 3

It took time for me to fully regain my strength and at that time, Hugh and Mary continued to be kind and attentive. Mary would fuss over me like a mother hen, ensuring that I was always warm and fed. My distrust of the woman slowly began to fade, but I was still wary, something she seemed to understand.

"It's not your fault, Marian," she would tell me time and time again, "I'm no' your mother, but I promise you can trust me." I could never tell her about what had happened to me before, reliving that grief was too much for me to cope with but I did not have to. In hindsight, I feel like she knew my story without having it being told.

Unlike Mary, I did not see Hugh as much as he spent much of his time tending to the couple's cows alongside his brothers. I still had a strong interest in this. My family raised sheep, so I did not have much experience with cows; I could not shake off that curiosity. There were days I tried to sneak out of the house to follow Hugh, only to be caught by Mary, but rather than punish me she would try to distract me by helping her sew and cook. She would also pick berries from the bushes in the woods beside the house. As she did, I would stand by the door and take in the land around me. Alongside this house were two other buildings, must have been for storing produce and meat. There were mounds of wheat from harvest, a potato patch and various other crops. It was larger than the land my parents had and prosperous. Beyond the farm were the rolling and rugged mountains, the curtain of rain moving across the hills like a spirit of the wind. I would spend hours sitting outside, simply admiring it. Now I was free from the wrath of the wilderness, I could admire its beauty.

One morning, I woke up before the couple. It was just after sunrise, and I knew that Hugh would soon be awake to start his work. By now I was bored of staying in the confinements of the farm. I wanted to see more. Leaving the house as quietly as possible, I stood outside. The air was cool with a sweet breeze and the sky was clear. Not making a sound, I snuck to where Hugh kept his horse; a bay stallion with a stripe down his face named Hazel. He looked up from his hay in surprise with a grunt.

"Don't give me away now," I whispered as I put on his saddle and bridle, I only knew how by watching Hugh do it. It took me a few attempts and a rather indignant bite from Hazel for me to get it right. Rubbing my shoulder, I led him outside. Still no sign of Hugh. Proud of myself and my cleverness, I climbed atop some large rocks to mount the horse. As I got into the saddle, I suddenly heard a voice.

"And where are you off to?" I felt my heart jump into my throat as I looked down and saw Hugh standing there, looking up at me with a firm look on his face. I felt my whole body freeze. I tried to answer but only a stammer came out. Surely, he was going to pull me off Hazel and beat me within every inch of my life for doing this. How could I have been so stupid?

Hugh's eyes widened for a moment before he sighed quietly, and his face softened.

"Easy, lass I'm not angry." He said in his usual fatherly tone, "Just, what were you planning to do there?"

"I just... wanted to explore." I managed to squeak out, "That's all... see the cows."

"So what were you going to do once you were on my horse? Do you know where the cows are? How far away they are? How long it would take you to get back? Do you even know how to ride?" He asked, patting the Hazel's neck.

"...No." I answered sheepishly, looking down. Now that he said that, it made me realised that my plan, which I had thought was so clever was riddled with flaws. Hugh chuckled and looked back up at me.

"Use your foresight to use your hindsight." He said, staring at me with a knowing gaze, "Plan every move, rule out anything that could hinder you and think around them. Whatever stands in your way; outsmart it."