Chapter 2

I do not know how long I was in darkness for. My eyes felt as though they had been waxed shut both in pain and the inability to open them. Everything hurt, breathing was a laborious task and every little noise, even the song of a sparrow was agonising. I shook perpetually and still felt as though I was in the rainstorm.

But even in my comatose state, I could tell that the world around me had changed. I could tell that I was no longer outside as there was no wind and the surrounding air was warm and musky. Despite the cold, there was something soft wrapped around my feeble body. In this period the only thing I can remember completely was a brief and awful moment where I was suddenly held with tight arms and a sudden and extreme pain in my right shoulder. A terrible and burning sensation which caused me to cry out and writhe in agony despite my weakness. I cannot tell what was worse; the pain or my inability to escape it. The initial sting soon became a dull and burning pain. Somebody was touching it with a cold mush but I could not stop myself from crying out at the pain. Whenever I did, I would feel a hand cup the back of my head, stroking my hair and a faraway voice whispering gentle murmurs. It was the only cradle of warmth I had. But I could not see or speak to the owner of that voice. Perhaps it was an angel waiting for me to awaken in heaven.

It could only have been a dream, that presence never left me. While I was no longer exposed to the elements, I was still extremely weak from hunger. My stomach rumbled perpetually, causing me to have pangs as it felt as though it was trying to digest itself. But again, it was now different. Now, whenever my stomach rumbled or I seemed distressed from the pain, I would be gently fed a mix of a lovely warm pottage and soaked bread. It would leave me feeling warm and sated, a feeling that I had practically forgotten existed. It felt as though I was home with my mother and father, maybe I really had passed and this was what heaven was like.

As time went on, my illness began to fade away. I still could not open my eyes, but I could hear clearer but even then, it felt as though I was underwater. There were two voices that were always present, a man and a woman's. Sometimes there were some other voices. I can only remember one particular conversation that I overheard. I could not participate and could only listen.

"It's a miracle she's alive. I was certain the lass was dead." one voice said, sounding surprised.

"It doesnae help that ya shot her, ya numpty!" Another male voice growled, sounding very angry.

"Aye, but she could have been a thief after the cows!" The man responded in defence.

"Because a wee lassie, all half-starved n' skin and bones is a huge threat to our cows." A female voice scolded, sarcasm dripping from her words like the wax from a candle,

"It's no' as if I could see her clearly with Allison in the way!"

"All the more reason not to shoot!"

"She looked distressed, ya cannae blame me for actin'!"

"If anything, she was the one in danger from her! Allison tried to stamp on her and all!"

Who was Allison they were talking about? I wished I could ask them and try to assure them I was no threat to them at all; I just wanted some water. As I tried to speak, however, the only sound I could make was a groan as I tried to move. I was still very sore all over. At this, the three adults stopped speaking and I felt the woman sit near me, stroking my head and saying quiet words before shooing the two men outside to finish their argument and give us both peace. It was a relief, the rising volume of their voices was aggravating my already terribly sore head.

"Daft lads..." she mumbled as I felt the blanket tighten around me, "He's right though. Was not until we brought you in we realised you were still breathing. Tough wee lassie, aren't ya?"