Evolution: Chapter 39

Alchemy liked to seek refuge in societies rotten spots. It was an effective way to avoid being found by high shot callers. After all, who the hell is going to dig through all the dirt down here? The hassle almost wasn't worth it.

Venom managed to meld in with the population easily. She walked the same way as them, briskly, without sparing a glance at any of the desperate beggars. The smell didn't even seem to faze her, not did the noise.

Ripper, however, was less compatible to our new surroundings.

"Damien." His name slipped from my mouth in a moment of shock. His brows rose from behind his sunglasses, "What the hell!?"

I recognized the red hair instantly, shoving my way through the crowd. Mounted against the sides of an apartment complex, was a massive billboard. On it was an electronic message that I deigned to ignore, beside an image of the hell beast herself.

Veronica Grave.

Venom sighed dramatically, "Ugh, please tell me that bitch isn't a trigger for you." She drawled, whilst I gaped at the sight of her massive face, "Because she's known as some kind of hail savior here."

In the image, she adorned a sheer white dress that only added to the godly reputation. Dark red hair was pulled back from her annoyingly pretty features, her pink lips stretched into a wide smile. Everything about the image screamed innocence, and royalty.

From the way her green eyes seemed to shine, to the glow of her ivory skin.

My fists clenched by my side, "I hate her." I gritted out, seeing the reason for why I am, the way I am, in front of me, "People really think she's a good person?"

Ripper pressed a hand against the back of my shoulder, pushing me forward until we passed it. Only to come face to face with another, and then another. Venom wasn't lying, every turn we took, I found those green eyes stabbing into me.

Making promises of world change, better this and, more of that.

"No." Venom gritted out, annoyed that I had almost crossed the wrong road, "They think she's their savior. Veronica Grave has been the president's greatest foe, and the people's hero. They all think she's their saving Grace, when really, she's only fighting for herself."

There was a bitterness in her own tone that I reluctantly found comfort in. I couldn't see her eyes, but if the way her jaw was clenched was a sign, Venom wasn't fond of her either. Ripper merely scoffed at every sign, and protest board, with her face on it.

I guess now I knew how Veronica was so powerful. She had a reputation on the outside, she wasn't just part of some secret scheme like I always thought. Not only was she formerly the Handler of one of the Splices, she had one hell of a shield on the outside.

That being an entire social class.

Confusion swelled through me, at how the young girls being tugged behind their parents, stared in awe. Looking at Veronica like she was some sort of princess, who they all wanted to be. Even grown women gazed at her images in admiration, and I had to grit my teeth.

She didn't deserve all this praise. The woman was a monster. If only they knew who she really was, then, she'd be destroyed.

When we turned down an alleyway, this one dimmer than the rest. Venom hadn't been exaggerating about things getting harsher in the night. More bodies seemed to fill the streets, headlights shining across menacing faces.

Ripper wore a heavy coat over himself, the collar pulled high to keep himself hidden. I'd noted more than a couple of glances his way, no doubt, wondering what other values he had. Especially because the air had grown colder, and I almost found it difficult to breathe.