Evolution: Chapter 22

"- you always knew this could be a possible side effect." I heard Sloane murmur to Ripper, her tone stressful, "Damien, you need to finish her last cycle. I know you still have some of it left, without that, we don't know how long she'll manage."

"She's lived this long," Ripper drawled, his tone assuring. There was assurance supporting his words, "I know her, she's strong. This will pass, and she'll come back around."

When my eyes cracked open, the first thing I saw was pink. Chiffon was draped above the bed, casting the space around me in a pink glow. It made my brows pinch in confusion, where was I? Definitely not back in the cabin.

A thick comforter was neatly tucked in beneath me, a soft to touch fabric warming me. It was only then I noted that chiffon fell down the sides of the bed, from the frame above me. Maybe it was stupid to immediately feel...secure, but I did.

"I believe you believe that," Sloane's hushed voice continued, eagerly trying to convince him of something, "But I need to rely on the science. If your sister was here, you know she would tell you to pull your head out of your-"

Their voice stopped the moment my feet hit the floor, and I scowled at the wooden floors. Even they were different from the cabins, these were darker with a waxed glow to them. My eyes trailed around the room I didn't recognize, critically picking apart everything.

Someone lived here.

Personality spat out from every piece of the room. Over the windows were wispy pieces of miss matching shades of material, all stitched together. When the sun shone through, it painted the white walls in different shades of blue and green.

It felt like I was under the water. Making the room appear even bigger than it already was, and it oddly felt...I don't know. It's hard to explain something you feel, when you don't know the right words to string together.

"You know, I can hear you even when you're downstairs." I stated when I heard the door jerk open. As if I didn't hear the heart beating from behind the door, although, it had sped up a little now, "Oh, who are you?"

A stout woman stared at me like I was a known intruder. Dressed in a casual black dress with a white apron over it, laden with pockets filled with cleaning supplies. The woman was older, with wrinkles shaping her astonished features.

"It's- it's not possible." The woman balked, clutching a feather duster to her chest, it shook in her trembling grip, "Who are you? What are you- who are you, young lady!?"

My temper flared at her indignant tone, the way she looked at me. She was the one who walked into the room, I was already here. I regarded her with a piercing stare, wondering how long she'd last if I chased her.

Would she fight, or would she die?

"Gwen, I thought I told you to take the afternoon off?" Ripper's shadow fell over her, but he didn't come into the room, "Don't concern yourself with our guest, although, I'm sure you and Selene will be acquainted at some point."

Gwen's lower lip dropped ever so slightly, "Selene?" She said my name, but it didn't feel like she was addressing me, "Oh, Damien...what did you do?"

"What every brilliant mind does," Ripper replied, not withholding any humility, "I created something magnificent. Now, I need you to make yourself scarce. I have a lot of work needing to be done, and a scotch calling my name."

The woman looked distressed, trying to not stare at me but glancing despite herself. She finally swallowed her pride and nodded, "I'm taking the rest of the day off." She stated, exiting the room without a backwards glance, "I think I need to lie down."