01 // Differences

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Liam

I had done this so many times before, but that didn't change the fact that I got nervous every time. I couldn't screw this up, it wouldn't only mean that my family doesn't get food tonight, it would mean that they would never have food again. I'm the only one that can get them food, if I go to jail... They won't have anything anymore.

I never told my brother how I got the food that I brought home, but I'm positive he knows. He always asks me if he can come along, tells me he needs to learn how to get food for that one time I won't be able to get them food. He's smart for an eight year old. But than again, he's an eight year old. No matter how cruel this world is, I am not going to teach him stealing is a good thing. It's not. But it's the only way we can survive.

My mum lost her job about three weeks ago, because she got too sick to work there. She should've left way earlier, all the work hadn't been good for her health. But it was our only income, so she refused to stop. She's a great mother, she has done way more than I will ever be able to do for my family.

I wanted to get a job too, anything better than stealing. But nobody could hire me. It's a rule our 'King' set up. People with a criminal record don't get jobs. That's just one of the things that proves how stupid that man is. What did he think? That people who can't get jobs are just going to sit at home and starve to death? Plus, if I'm a 'criminal' already, what made him think I wouldn't steal my food? God that man is an idiot.

I'm not even sure why he's in charge. After everything happened, he kind of just took the lead. Not that he has any idea what he's doing. Everything's a mess. It's been months since he's been our leader and we still don't know what direction to go in. Everyone's confused, scared. People are sick and dying. Half of the population that's left doesn't even have a home. If people didn't help each other out we'd probably all be dead already. The only thing the king cares about is his family. Which is probably the only good thing about him. But the fact that he's willing to let around two hundred people die to save his wife and daughter, still makes him the most selfish person ever to me. I'd do anything for my family, but not let all those people suffer so I could live the rich kind of life. I don't want to be rich if I had to do it that way.

A shaky breath left my lips, I hated this. I hated it.

I looked around the market, it was a busy Wednesday afternoon. Children ran around across the street, chasing each other. They seemed happy, for now. I was stood behind a corner, a stall was stood only a few meters away from me. I could smell the scent of freshly baked bread passing by me. It was all about timing. I waited until the man standing behind the stall would turn around to take a seat because nobody came to buy anything. Just as he turned around I would take a step, reach for the bread, and quickly disappear behind the corner again. Slip the bread in my bag and walk off like nothing ever happened. Just as easy as that. I've done it million times before.

This was the moment, the man turned around. I took a step and reached for the bread. I could feel the warmth in my hands, when suddenly ''Hey! What the hell do you think you're doing?!'' The man yelled. My first reaction was to drop the bread and apologize. But I knew this man, he wouldn't let it slip. So I ran. Fast. ''STOP HIM! STOP HIM HE STOLE FROM ME!'' But nobody stopped me, nobody even tried. So I ran, into the woods.

I had found a way through the woods to my house, so when something like this would ever happen. I would be able to escape and nobody would find me. While I was running I had already slipped the bread in my bag, holding it securely against my body. This was the first time I ever got caught. I was positive my heart was going to jump up and push it's way through my throat and out of my mouth just to fall to the ground and be crushed under my feet. Luckily this didn't actually happen, but it sure feel like it did. Soon enough, I made it home. And Will waited at the door, asking me why I was panting; If I had ran; If I had brought food; If I wanted to go fishing with him. A lot of questions basically. But it was alright, because when I came inside and showed my mum the bread. She smiled, and Will got the cheese I stole yesterday from the fridge, already forgetting about all his question. It was alright because I was home, where I belonged. For now.