6

After the funeral is a viewing. Closed casket, for obvious reasons that I should not have to explain. This is the part I am dreading. See, I can't leave until after it is all over.

Everyone is starting to walk up to the casket, now. I should go but have to find some tissues first. "Hey, Nick."

"Yeah, Josie?" Nick replies.

"Um.. do you happen to see some tissues? I think there was a box of them next to you but I am not sure."

Nick turns in his seat. Gets up and walks a few chairs down and returns with a box of tissues!

"Here ya go." He hands me the box and sits back down.

"Thank you so much. You are so nice, wish we didn't have to meet under these circumstances though."

"You're welcome. And yeah... Not the best reason to meet but at least we did. Otherwise, then you would not have a new friend. Not that I can replace Kylie." Nicks face burns with embarrassment.

I laugh for a second. "Yeah I got wat you meant. And no. No one will ever be able to replace Kylie." I feel a rush of fresh, new tears about to pour down my face. I grab a tissue and wipe my eyes not caring about make-up because I was smart. I did not put any on.

"Thank you, Nick Rodgers. For everything today. When we go back to school Monday I will have someone who will not look at me like 'What the crap? That girl should not be here. She could not save her best friend.'"

Nick frowns. "You're welcome for everything. But, what was that last part for no one will look at you like that. Kylie was good at hiding her feelings and sometimes that is not a good thing. No one could have saved her. You, Josie Freeman, need to realize that no one could have saved her, especially not you. Stop blaming yourself."