Chapter 11 Troublesome Friends

Chapter 11

Troublesome Friends

At first, no one seemed to fancy the idea of two Hogwarts champions, even Ron. No, especially Ron. The two got into a fight later that night and now, a few days later they still were not speaking. I tried to stay out of it, but I did not believe Harry put his name in. He already had enough drama in the spotlight by being 'The Boy Who Lived.' Also, I knew how hard it was to actually get past the age line.

I walked with Harry and Hermione to Potions, not looking forward to the class. Then again, I never did.

"Do you have any idea who might have put your name in the goblet, Harry?" Hermione asked him.

Harry shook his head. "No. I can't imagine."

"Well, whoever it was can't have had good intentions," she went on, promptly. "After all, the tournament is very dangerous, especially for underage wizards. There's a reason there's an age limit. People have died..."

I saw Harry gulp and commented, "Hermione, I don't think you're making him feel any better."

"Where were you that night anyway? I meant to ask you before," Hermione continued, "but I saw you weren't there when the names were drawn."

I shrugged. "I was just running behind. I had detention... you know."

"Hmm," she mused. "I also noticed Morgan Brody was not among his fellow Durmstrang students..."

"Um..." I did not know what to say. Fortunately for me, we heard some commotion down by the dungeon where Snape taught so the three of us picked up our pace. We found Draco Malfoy, with his friends behind him. I squinted my eyes and made out a green badge on his chest. The words transformed from 'Support Cedric Diggory, the Real Hogwarts Champion' to 'Potter Stinks.' I rolled my eyes and brushed past them to my usual desk. A majority of the Hufflepuff students along with most Slytherins wore the same badge.

Pansy shoved a badge right in Lenora's face.

"You need to put this on!" Pansy insisted. "You're in Slytherin. We need to show house unity."

"I said, no. I'd rather have my limbs yanked off then wear the same thing as you," Lenora declared, sitting stiffly at her desk. "Now go away, will you?"

Pansy slammed the badge on the desk right in front of her. "I should have known you would be difficult, as always. You are unworthy of being in Slytherin!"

Lenora turned her head and shot back, "And you are unworthy of life in general, you brainless oaf!"

"How dare you..."

I saw Pansy start to pull out her wand. That was when I intervened.

"You can't force people to wear something they don't want," I gritted, holding my own wand.

Lenora stood up and rolled her eyes. "Really, Melanie? I don't need you to fight my battles."

"I'm not fighting for you," I stated, flatly, and turned to Pansy, "These badges are not you supporting Cedric Diggory. You're only wearing them in spite of Harry."

Pansy smirked, not denying it, and waved her arm. "Look around, Melanie. It seems like quite a lot of people support this case."

"Really? Because what I see here is you trying to bully people into wearing the badge," I pointed out. "That tells me..."