Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

“Make sure your kits are packed and stored properly! Anything you forget to pack, or anything out of place will be left behind and you will do without! Let me hear that you understand!” Drill Instructor Franklin barked through the quiet squad bay.

“Aye, sir!” all the recruits yelled out at once.

They were all huddled around their footlockers towards the end of the day, stuffing items into their packs in preparation for the events of the following morning. Only two weeks remained in their training and spirits were high for those who still remained in the program, but a long and daunting weekend lay in front of them. They now faced the toughest part of recruit training, the Marine Corps Crucible. A three day training exercise that tested all of their training and pushed them all to their limits, forcing them to overcome them and earn the title of Marine.

To say that Alexander had been looking forward to this day would be an understatement. Finally the long road he had been forced to travel was coming to an end, and now, for the first time in many months, he could see the end in sight. Just one more obstacle stood in his way now, and he was anxious to dive head first right into it. He knew it would not be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but he didn't care. He would tough it out and do what he needed to get back to where he belonged. It was so close now.

“Recruit Woods, the Senior has requested your presence!” Sergeant Franklin added loudly as he walked past, catching Alexander in the middle of putting away some of his socks.

“Aye, sir.”

“That means now, Pretty Boy! He's in the Hut!”

Alexander shot up to his feet as his rack mate looked at him like he had just been sentenced to death. Very rarely was anyone summoned to the DI's Hut unless they were in trouble, and being in trouble the night before the Crucible was not a good sign at all. However, Alex couldn't think of a single thing he had done wrong. In fact it had been almost an entire week since he had been yelled at, so he really had no idea what was wrong or why the Senior would want to see him.

Still, he had to go and meet with the man regardless, so he quickly crossed the squad bay to the port side and came to stand outside the large red door that led into the DI's only room. He placed his feet on the black bootprints painted onto the ground and then slapped his hand against the wooden outline of a hand print near the top of the door, as was required when letting the Drill Instructors know that they were there.

“Good evening, sir! Recruit Woods reporting to Senior Drill Instructor as ordered sir!” he then yelled loudly.

“Enter!” came the Seniors request a second later, and Alexander stood there in silence for a moment. Usually this was the part where the Drill Instructors would come out of the room and address the recruit in front of everyone else. “I said enter, Pretty Boy!”

“Aye, sir!”

Against his better judgement, Alexander turned the handle to the door and pushed it open. He stepped into the room and, as he was quickly told to do, closed the door behind him. The Senior sat at a small desk full of papers and other items near the far wall, his back turned to Alex as he looked at something before him. For a moment Alex just stood there. He was unsure what to do, so he did what now came naturally to him and stood at attention and shut his mouth as he waited.