Chapter Two

Chapter Two

“Welcome back to The War Front; where you can get all the latest information about the war with the U.N.E. every weekday. I'm your host, Peter Watson; and today my guest is Dr. Frank Marin from the U.N.E. Research Centre in Washington, D.C.! Welcome, Dr. Marin.”

“Thank you, it's a pleasure to be back on the show.”

“Today we'll be discussing the information that was released by the White House and NATO yesterday, information that deals specifically with the alien ship that crashed on the shores of Japan a little over five months ago. Now, a lot of information has been released and it's a little hard to wrap your mind around it, but I understand that you were one of the research members who was actually on the ground after the attack. Is that correct, Doctor?”

“Yes, it is. My team and I arrived only moments after the area was deemed safe for non military personnel and we immediately began our exploration and research on the Hive that crashed there. It was... quite the experience; one I'm not sure I'd like to have again.”

“That's understandable. That victory cost us many lives, and I am looking forward to hearing what you and your team found. However, before we get into all of that, I find that I must ask a very strange question; one that my viewers have been hounding me about for many months now. I'm sure you know what I'm about to ask.”

“I have an idea, but why don't you just go ahead and ask me. Just in case I am wrong.”

“Well, I think it's safe to assume that every person on the planet has seen the footage of the battle, whether they watched it live like the majority of us, or they saw a replay of it later on. It was the first, and so far only time we have ever seen such an in depth look at what is really going on overseas, and it has become a microcosm for the entire war. However, the real story of the day wasn't about the strange appearance of the two new U.N.E. species, or even the hard fought battle that saw both of them destroyed. It wasn't even really about the amount of lives lost that day on both fronts, or the determination the troops showed in holding the land they had. No, the real story of that day was of that—”

“Kiss?”

“Exactly, Dr. Marin; the kiss! It was a moment that has captured the collective imaginations and hearts of the world over; a tender and touching moment that hasn't been lost or even forgotten in the long and hard months that have followed. It's as much a story today as it was when it first happened, and yet no information has been released about it despite the public’s pleading. And there has been a lot of pleading and begging. Can you blame everyone though? In the middle of a heated conflict, with lives being lost every few seconds, two M.W.P. pilots shared an intimate and usually private moment in front of millions watching at home, not knowing if either of them would survive. So my question to you, Dr. Marin, is do you have any information about who those two mysterious pilots were, or if both of them survived? We do know for sure that one of the pilots from that advanced squadron was killed that day; a young female lieutenant from Canada, Michelle Wilds.”

“I'm sure your viewers won't be very happy with my answer, but no, I have no idea who they are or if they are both still alive. There was a lot going on that day, and I was preoccupied with getting inside the U.N.E. Hive and learning whatever secrets I could from their technology. I'm sorry.”

“Oh, there's nothing to be sorry about. It's just one more mystery that we have yet to unravel, and I'm sure that with time we will get to the bottom of it. Anyways, let's get back onto topic, shall we? Yesterday the White House held a press conference where a lot of information was given to the public, and I could go over everything that was said and discussed, but I think I'd like to hear your take on it. You were there personally after all. So, why don't you tell us what you found and what your impression of the Hive was.”