Chapter 13

“Riel, there was something odd with your x-ray. I think I’m going to have to take your images again.” frank stated with what sounded like joy instead of concern.

     “What do you mean odd?” Mum asked an stood and involuntarily wrapped her fingers protectively around my wrist. He looked over at her as though he just realized she was there.

     “Oh good morning, my love.” He said and kissed her quickly on the cheek. “I am in a bit of a hurry if you don’t mind. Please come with me, Riel.”

     “But she hasn’t even eaten any breakfast yet.”

     “That’s good, sometimes stomachs can become upset by the radiation. You will be more than welcome to eat as much breakfast as you want afterwards, but for now it would be good to get these scans done. Now.”

     “What is the hurry?” I asked, “Maybe I don’t want to be photographed again.”

     “I think there might-be-well something wrong with the bone.” He spat the sentence out rather quickly as though he was making it up on the spot. I didn’t doubt that he was.

     “Maybe you should have it looked at again, sweetheart.” Mum squeezed my hand in hers. Was her fear for me deafening her to his lies?

     “Come on.” He said and placed a hand on my back and started guiding me towards the door. “It was quick last night it will be just as quick, possibly.” He said.

     “I’ll wait for you at breakfast then.” Mum stood. Reluctantly, I followed Frank down the hallway and back down to his hospital level of the house. Instead of leading me directly to the x-ray room he led me to a room that reminded me of checkups.

     “What are we doing in here?” I asked.

     “Sit up there on the table.” He commanded and went over to one of the may drawers. I saw him pull out a silver plastic package as well as some cotton balls and band-aids. He opened a cabinet above the counter with the drawers and extracted a tiny bottle of clear liquid.

     “You’re not injecting me with anything.” I said when I started to put two and two together and realize what he was setting up.

     “I don’t want to use the lead coverings on you in there, so instead I am going to give you an injection that will counteract the radiation, instead.” He snapped on two rubber gloves and opened the silver package revealing a clean syringe. At least I would be properly injected this time.

     “I’ve never heard of anything like that protecting from radiation.” I crossed my arms over my chest as he began filling the syringe with the liquid from the bottle.”

     “There are plenty of things out there medically that I am sure you’ve never heard about. Now let’s see, only about a fourth of a dose is good, but I might as well give the entire bottle just to make sure.” He said most of the last bit under his breath so I didn’t quite catch it.

     “I know you were lying through your teeth in my bedroom. I don’t know what you’re on about, but I am going to figure it out one way or another.” I warned. He came over to me with a doctor-like smile while confronting an unruly patient. How professional of him.

     “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Riel. I only want what’s best for you just like your mother.”

     “I can physically feel lies. Yours are predominantly strong at chafing my nerves.” For some reason I was having trouble understanding his motives, other than he was looking for an excuse to get rid of me like he did to my half sisters.