Chapter 11: The Day After

The people all had their separate radios out and I could see many of them were crying. They were all sitting together and looked like a family. I guess when going through something traumatic like that people bond together.

     The police officer stopped and came over to my door. I really wasn’t feeling well. The officer looked like he was about to pick me up but I stopped him. I wanted to walk on my own. I gripped the door for support and pulled myself up. My head began to swim the longer I stood but I wanted a little dignity to show when I walked in front of all the people. I stood psyching myself up for the jeers and angry protests they were going to shout at me for not going sooner. It wasn’t my fault that I ended up in this situation, but I knew it made people feel better when they got things off their chests.

     When I was ready I walked slowly from the car and towards the apartment. The people became silent when they saw me. They didn’t say a word as I walked closer. I tried not to limp or show any signs of weakness but I felt if I didn’t get to a lavatory soon I might end up spilling my guts or collapsing. I tried to quicken my pace. I made it to the stairs and the police officer commanded people to move out of my way. A few scooted to make a path but silence still hung over everyone’s heads. It was like they all wanted to say something but they didn’t want to be the first. I walked up the first step and attempted to lift my leg but my vision swam. I stumbled but kept my balance. I made it up the next two but I couldn’t stabilize myself and I collapsed. Great, I was wounded in a sea of enemies. I grabbed my stomach as it clenched in pain. Why had I even thought of drinking that awful ‘cure?'

     I wondered if they were going to start yelling at me and telling me I was getting what I deserved but I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder. Then I felt another go on my back. More and more hands were placed on my body, and they were gentle touches, not menacing or violent. What was going on?

     “You did what none of us were willing to do.” An elderly man’s voice rang in my ear.

     “I feel bad for thinking of you so poorly.” A younger female voice said. Why weren’t they angry at me? I hadn’t been able to stop it, and because of that Hero was in incredible trouble, or dead.

     “You did your best to save us, Hero too.” Another voice rang out. Soon there were multiple voices talking at once. I wanted to hear what they had to say but my head was swimming and I didn’t want to hurl on anyone. I lifted myself with my hands and found others helping lift me. I was once more on my feet, completely stunned at the reaction. What had made them change? The officer was next to me in a few strides and opened the door for me. He helped me in and closed it.

     “Are you all right?” he asked, though he knew already that I wasn’t.

     “I think I may have done something incredibly stupid, or maybe I walked into a trap.” I groaned out and held my stomach as it began to burn and clench more. He held tightly to my arm to support me and keep me standing.

     “I was poisoned by one of his ninja star weapon things, and I thought I was going to die. I noticed a cart of all his concoctions that he thought up and they all had labels. One had a cure so I was sure that I might as well try it. I figured I didn’t have anything to lose.”

     “You ingested some strange liquid that you didn’t know anything about?” He asked. I nodded my head.

     “We need to get you to a hospital, they can pump it out of your stomach or something.”

     “No need.” I wrenched my arm from his grip and doubled over the decorative trash can Ms.

Hodgens had for show in the front lobby. It was mostly for decoration and trash never went inside. I threw up for what felt like five minutes. I didn’t know how that was possible because the only thing I had eaten in two days or so was a can of soup and a few gulps from that cursed jar labeled ‘cure.’