Chp. 8

This was just the perfect ending to the perfect day. First, I find out that we are staying in a house away from any signs of civilization, then I get in a fight with my mom which resulted in her slapping me, and finally I’m standing in the middle of a pastry shop wiping sticky goops of milkshakes off my shirt and pants. I had, had enough of Europe. Could someone take me back home?

    The guy, who had basically dumped his drinks on me, was still standing with his hand over his mouth. He seemed amused about this whole situation. I shot him a glare.

    “Thanks for the apology.” I snapped, before snatching a napkin from the counter and vigorously scrubbing at the sticky mess. There was no way this wasn’t going to stain.

   “Apology?” His voice was higher than I expected. Glancing in his direction, I nodded my head once.

    “Yes, that’s what people do when they throw their drinks all over another person.”

    “If anything, you should be apologizing to my milkshakes. They took one hell of a beating back there.” The guy took his hand away from his mouth to reveal a bit of stubble across his face. I stopped my scrubbing and blinked at him.

   Really?

    He was really going to stand there and tell me that it was my mistake for running into him?

    We both stared at each other for a few seconds, before I grabbed the milkshake containers and tossed them in his direction. He didn’t flinch, just widened his smirk. “Okay.”

   Without another word, I turned on my heel and started trudging my way back outside. Every step I took, I could feel the remaining shake stick to my skin. I take back what I said about European hospitality.

    “Wait! I was joking.” The guy’s voice sounded behind me. Rolling my eyes, I continued through the door and into the busy street. A cool wind blew through my hair, and I shivered. There’s nothing like a cool breeze while your clothes are wet.

    I heard the shuffling of his feet on the concrete, and before I knew it, he had grabbed my arm and turned me around. “What?”

    “It was a joke. I- I didn’t mean to offend you. Honest.” The first thing I noticed about him was how tall he was, and how his nose was bigger than most.

    I shook his grip off me, and took a step back. “You’re smooth with the ladies.” I tried to turn back around, but he reached out and kept my shoulder in place. We were blocking people in the middle of the street. They kept giving us weird looks as they snaked their way around us.

    “Look, if you’re going to rape me or something, can you tell me now? Because I have some pepper spray in the car.” I nodded towards my car right down the road. All I really wanted to do was change these clothes. I could smell the milk on my shirt. I also wasn’t too happy about the idea of having a stranger stop me in the middle of the street, just to stare at me.

    He crinkled his eyebrows. “Why would you keep Pepper Spray in the car? I don’t know any rapists who actually rape a girl near their car. They usually do it in dark alleys or something.”

    “You know rapists?”

    Running a hand through his jet black hair, he smirked. “Touche.”

    “That’s what I thought.” I crossed my arms across my chest, and shifted my weight from foot to foot. The band across the street seemed louder than before, but I shook them away. “Don’t you have something to say to me?”

    “Nope.” He blew out casually before he shrugged his shoulders and shot me a lopsided grin. This time, I groaned and hid my smile. He was testing me. I think every guy possessed this trait. They always wanted to push the girl as far as they could, because in all honesty, they thought it was hysterical.