"Yes, do you know her?" she asked me and I nodded.

"I used to. She's probably about 18 now, isn't she?" The old woman shrugged.

"Same age as you, I'd imagine. 17, perhaps?" I didn't know, either so just nodded and started to grab the pile of books, setting off to put them away.

As I was putting them on the shelves - jam tight and in alphabetical order - the door opened, pinging the bell. Excited voices were coming from the other side of the room, so being the nosey girl that I was, I tried to walk around behind the desk to see who it was.

I recognised the girl vaguely, she looked about 20 and was jumping up and down, hugging Miss Holdana as if her life depended on it. Miss Holdana's face was over her shoulder and I could see a tear run down her cheek, although, judging by the smile of her face, it was a happy one.

"I've missed you so much, Allison," she whispered, her voice weak as she pulled away and looked at the girl in front of her. Then it hit me. She was Allison Scythe, the girl that suffered the abuse a few years back. I noticed her around the village a few times but she looked a lot different. The colours in her hair had gone and were replaced with different shades of blonde and she was a lot taller, slender and was absolutely bubbling.

"I've missed you, too. Get in here, Cooper!" she hissed, looking at the door. That was when I noticed the guy at the door. He looked a lot like Lisa with the shape of his face and mouth but his hair and eyes were darker as he walked into the room. He noticed me looking over and shot me a smile, moving his hand up in a subtle wave. I smiled back before backing out of the desk and trying to walk around to the bookshelves to give them some privacy.

"Allison, I would like you to meet Kathyrn, she's taking up your position," Miss Holdana introduced and I stopped in my tracks, wishing the ground to swallow me up.

Ally walked over and grinned, holding her hand out.

"Nice to meet you," she said with a smile, her face all clear of any scars that could suggest anything about her past. I grimaced, looking at her hand.

"Nice to meet you, too. Sorry, I have a thing..." I trailed off and she got the message, dismissing it with the wave of her hand.

"No problem, come over here, we have news." Ally ushered me back over to the desk, turning to Miss Holdana and keeping her hand behind her back. Cooper was grinning as he leaned on the other side of the counter, just to the right of me.

"Kat Price?" he asked suddenly, looking at me properly. I nodded, hoping that they hadn't already heard. "You were friends with Lisa in Primary, weren't you?" Raising my eyebrows, I nodded, surprised he remembered.

"Yeah, before she moved to the grammar school." He nodded, gave me another smile and then turned back to Ally, who was raising an eyebrow impatiently.

"Cooper, I have been waiting six months to tell her this, shush!" she teased and he smirked, shrugging. Miss Holdana had moved to a forward sitting position, eyeing the two with narrowed eyes.

That was when Ally shoved her hand in Miss Holdana's face. For a second, I thought she'd hit her, but then I realised that Miss Holdana was staring at her hand in awe. On her ring finger, was a beautiful, delicate silver ring.

"You're engaged?" The old lady asked, shock riddled through her voice. Ally's shoulders slumped and she took her hand back, admiring the ring for a moment. Cooper had gone stiff and I had no idea what to do. A congratulations was in order but there was tension in the room.

"If you're going to give us another 'you're too young' speech like Sadie did then I'm..." Miss Holdana cut Ally's rant off with a hug around her midrift. Ally grinned, leaning down and hugging her back and resting her chin on her hand.