Chapter 11

Chapter 11 (Not proofread, so try to ignore any mistakes:) )

                Therapy. One of the many down sides of being ‘emotionally unstable.’

                After the night at Carter’s party, I had managed to keep the panic attack a secret from my mum, not wanting her to waste any unnecessary worry over me. Unfortunately, somebody had snitched. I didn’t know who it was, but when I’d asked Eli, he said that he rarely speaks to my mother. I had my bets, though. Eli and I would put money on the fact that it was one of the volunteers. They didn’t like me and anything that they could do to ruin my life was on their ‘to do list’.

                So, there I was, again, sitting in the waiting room to see Dr Leyden. He was a nice enough man and probably an amazing therapist, too. But only to someone that could respond to therapy. I didn’t like having everything shoved back in my face, all the problems in front of my eyes. I found it easier to pack them into little boxes at the back of my head and let them rot there.

                “Miss Kathryn Price?” I looked over at the sound of my voice, seeing the doctor himself standing at the door. He was wearing his usual smile, small glasses and lab coat. I asked him why he needed it on my first day in his office, he just said that he didn’t, it just made him feel smarter, which was fine with me.

                Walking into the small room was step one, but sitting back down in front of his large armchair was a bit harder. The day that Finn was arrested, I was told to go and have a chat with Dr Leyden. It was all going okay, until the policemen interrupted and told me that they needed a statement. Of course, Jenna’s dad had shown up as well to help. Until Finn was proven guilty, I was treated as though I was a liar.

                My dad didn’t believe me, he moved out with Finn when he got bail. The policemen, although they told me that they believed me, seemed to think that Finn seemed too nice to do anything like that. Jenna’s dad, Dr Leyden and my mum had stood by me, believing my every word. When my friends found out, they were on side. When the school found out, I was outcast. That was how it happened, apparently. When I was speaking to Miss Holdana about it at work, she said that Ally went through similar. She was prepped for the cross examination just as badly as I was.

                “What can I do for you today?” he asked me, once I had taken my seat. His green eyes were boring into mine through the thick lenses of his glasses and the angle of his body was open. The light blue walls seemed to have closed around us, keeping the secrets and protecting us from any intruders. Even the plants seemed to be standing on guard, patrolling the left hand side of the door with vicious branches and leaves.

                “I’m not here by choice, my mum seems to think that I’m going backwards,” I admitted, settling back into the embrace of the seat. He nodded, putting a clipboard down on the arm of the chair and resting his chin on his hand.

                “Why does she think that?” he seemed genuinely curious but I knew that it was where the conversation would turn into an interview where I would have to spill everything out.

                “Because I had a panic attack.” Keeping my answers short wouldn’t work, we both knew that, I was just hoping that he’d take the hint and keep the session short. Eli didn’t want to buy a new horse, but he always enjoyed visiting the horse auctions so had asked me to go with him. The longer the session took, the less time we had at the auctions.