Chapter 36 (The End)

Lucy was true to her word, and with a tray in hand she was working the room, delivering champagne to anyone who wanted it. Neither Zeb nor Zelda had arrived, and Lucy was doing her best to keep from scanning the crowd for them.

The past week had been wonderful, she had given in her notice at work and spent all her free time with Zeb. They had talked though a lot of their issues and a retraction to his engagement had been printed in the paper, she had never been so happy. She was looking forward to returning home.

Zeb had even dealt with Bradley, who was let go from the police department for bad conduct. Lucy didn't ask Zeb to many questions. She was glad that he was gone and couldn't harass her anymore. Not that he would have once he realized she was Zeb's.

The thought of being Zeb's gave her a little thrill.

Paisley slid up next to her, motioning for her to hand off the almost empty tray. "You're wanted in the lobby," she said with a grin.

"I'm working!" Lucy insisted.

"Relax, it's the boss that wants you," Paisley assured her.

With a frown, Lucy handed over the tray and moved towards the lobby of the hotel. She wasn't noticed among all the costumes that surrounded her. Looking everywhere, she couldn't spot Bernstein anywhere.

"Got her, let's go!" Lucy felt two people to either side of her before their hands clamped onto her arms, and she was frightened until she saw it was Zelda and Summer.

"What on earth-"

"This is a kidnapping, we're taking you upstairs and turning you into Cinderella," Summer whispered in to her ear. "Don't fight us, it's a direct order from the boss." Summer nodded to two beefy looking security guards standing on the edge of the crowd.

Realizing she had lost, she allowed herself to be led upstairs to a room. There Summer worked her magic, and she truly did feel like Cinderella. He ballgown was silver and sparkled, her makeup and hair were done to perfection and she was ready to go in record time.

Lucy had tired to talk to Summer about all that had happened while she dressed her, but Summer hadn't wanted to discuss it no matter how hard Lucy pushed.

When she was ready the women led her back downstairs, as if they were her ladies in waiting, stopping with her outside the ballroom.

"It's all you now!" Summer said before pulling Zelda away and down to the other end of the hall to a side entrance.

Lucy was too frightened to move, there was no way she was walking into that room alone, she was about to turn and run when she felt something around her neck. Looking down she saw a strand of grey pearls.

"There, now you look perfect, and I hope you're going to accept them this time," Zeb said turning her to look at him. "Summer out did herself, you look stunning."

"Zeb, I was working!" she argued.

"Yes, I know, but we didn't agree how long you would work for this evening. I gave you a few hours, that was enough for you to honor your commitment."

With a sigh Lucy gave up, she really did want to go to the ball with him and since he wasn't going to take no for an answer...

"Are you ready?" he asked, and Lucy nodded, liking the way he looked in his tux. His one concession to Prince Charming was a silver sash.

"It's a bit adolescent isn't it? You're sash matching my dress?" Lucy frowned at the thought.

"It's Halloween and this way it's a little bit like I'm getting to take you to the prom, I'm guessing you didn't get to go to yours?"

Lucy shook her head, fighting back tears at the thoughtfulness of his actions. She had a feeling he would always try to make up for all the little things she had missed in her life over the years.

"I even got us the traditional hotel room for afterwards," he whispered in her ear and she couldn't fight the blush.

He didn't give her a chance to respond as he took her arm and escorted her into the ballroom. Not every eye turned to them, nor did the room come to a complete stand still, but there was a bit of a stir and some nudging as Zeb swept her into his arms and onto the dance floor.

"Did I tell you that I offered to buy Etta's bed? She was happy to sell it to me for an outrageous sum that should keep her comfortable for some years to come."

Lucy stopped and looked up at him, astounded that he had done that. It once again proved how sensitive to others he was, he had given Etta enough money without making it a handout.

"I'm sure it's going to be worth every penny, after all, we do have a few little girls to make."

Lucy felt her whole body warm at his words.

"Zeb, there's something I have to tell you," Lucy cleared her throat.

"Yes," he stopped dancing and looked down at her.

"The youngest, she'll have silver hair too," Lucy's eyes were wide as she waited for his reaction.

"I thought it skipped a generation?" he asked.

"It normally does, but the Monroe woman don't have much luck with men, so we tend to only have one daughter each," she explained. "I don't know anyone in our history who has had more than one before."

"Didn't Etta have a sister?" Zeb asked frowning.

"Yes, but they were twins." Lucy was starting to get nervous and Zeb must have sensed it as he pulled her close.

"Trust me, she'll be just as loved as the others, and we'll make sure she realizes that what she has is a gift."

Lucy nodded with tears in her eyes as he danced her around the floor once again.

"I supposed this is the part where I declare my undying love and propose marriage?" he asked.

"Only if you want to," Lucy shrugged, trying to play it cool.

Zeb stopped dancing and fell to one knee, and this time the room did come to a stand still and the music did stop.

"Lucy Monroe, you are the one that I love above all else, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you marry me?" He pulled out a beautiful antique diamond ring that was perfect.

"Yes Zeb, I suppose we should before the girls come." She nodded as he slipped the ring on her finger. "I love you too, more than you will ever know."

"This is the beginning of our happily ever after., Zeb said as he gathered her close and kissed her.

Lucy knew that it was because she had already seen so much of it.

The End!

****Check out Zelda's story, 'To See You'.