Chapter 10

Lucy pulled around and parked at the back of the house. Zebadiah had left a short note for her the day after their conversation that told her that she should be at his house at three o'clock the following day. As she got out of her car she recognized his car but there was another behind it that she didn't recognize.

Letting herself into the house, she quietly listened before she started up the stairs. She could hear a gentle murmur of voices but she couldn't make out the words, and when she rounded the banister her eyes immediately connected with Zebadiah's, and she had the sudden vision of red once more. Was it another warning?

"Lucy," he greeted without smiling, although he did stand. "This is my personal assistant Summer, she is here to help you get ready for the party this evening." He motioned for her to enter the study.

As Lucy entered, her eyes landed on a young lady about her age. She was well rounded and had lots of corkscrew curls in light blond that covered her head. She was wearing a delicate dusting of makeup and her clothes were perfect for her. She was obviously in good hands when it came to fashion.

"Hi Lucy," she greeted with her hand out as she stood. "I hope your ready to play dress up? Zebadiah gave me an approximation of your size and I brought a few things for you to try."

Lucy blushed a little, embarrassed by the fact that she had been a topic of discussion for someone she hardly knew. She couldn't help but wonder what else Zebadiah had told her.

"Just remember that we need to leave by half past six," he reminded Summer as he waved them away and turned towards his computer.

Summer took her arm and pulled her across the hall to one of the unfinished rooms there. In it was a rack of clothing, boxes of shoes, and a table full of make-up and hair products. "Full makeover," she said with obvious glee. "It is times like these that I enjoy my job." She sighed as she walked around Lucy, taking in her size and appearance.

"Times like these?" Lucy asked, trying not to flinch as Summer reached up and took off her ballcap.

"Ummm, yes, when Zebadiah asks me to do something unusual, out of the norm, although he has never had me makeover one of his lady friends before."

Lucy didn't think she meant to be thoughtless with her comment, but she couldn't help cringe at the description. "I'm not one of his lady friends, I work for him just like you do," she insisted as she was pushed into a chair.

"What do you do for him?" Summer asked as she distractedly ran her hand through Lucy's hair. "Can I cut this?" she asked. "This is your natural color isn't it?" she asked in the next breath.

"Yes, and I restore furniture, I'm working on the house."

Summer nodded at her explanation, not really caring. "It's amazing that your hair and eyes are so light, but your brows and lashes are so dark." She grinned. "I have just the dress, I know it is a black and white ball, but when I was told about your coloring I snuck one in that will make a statement."

"I don't want to make a statement," Lucy declined the offer.

"You are Zebadiah Abbott's date for the evening, you need to make a statement, I have a feeling that was why he chose you in the first place, you're so lovely you'll be hard to miss." Summer walked over to the rack of clothes and sorted through it until she found what she wanted.

"Here, try this." She handed the dress to Lucy who took it. It was silver silk and it flowed through her hands like water. It was long with a high slit up one leg and hugged the body. It was sleeveless, and the neck dipped into a deep drape, there was no back.