Arrival

The sun was shining so much more than I was used to. My pale skin was already feeling the burn. I had to remember to buy some sunblock. This would be a good change for me I kept telling myself as I looked around in the warmer atmosphere than what I had ever experienced. I knew that this is what I had always wanted but now that I was here it felt lonelier than it had done when I would daydream about this moment. You see, I had always wanted to travel, and I finally got the opportunity and said yes right away. I had moved from the mostly cold and rainy England to the sunshine state of Florida where I was going to study. I was 18 years old and I was going to college in a different part of the world and it felt extremely scary.

From now on I would be on my own. Well, of course, I had my family, but they were far away. I could always call them. They would love to hear from me but I thought I would wait just a little before doing so in fear of getting even more homesick.

I walked towards the entrance of my new school. The university I was starting at. It was really big and it was hard to figure out when and where I should be sometimes. I studied my choice of clothes one more time before going to the front desk. My style was pretty simple. Minimalistic as some would call it, others would probably call it boring. I would often wear clothes in the color scheme between white and black. My black vans had untied themselves and I bent down to tie them. Never had I really learned to tie them like an adult. I still made two loops and tied them like that. Pretty silly to think about now that I was entering university.

A shadow fell down on me as I was rising from my awkward shoe tying position and when I looked up there was a guy staring directly down at me.

"Excuse me, but the way that you tie your shoe is ridiculous, I'm not trying to be rude, but please let me help you" he almost begged me. I couldn't help but start laughing. "Are you really criticising the way I tie my shoe?" I could tell by the change in his face from serious to a big smile that he realized how dumb he must have sounded. "I'm so sorry, I just always speak my mind, and I happened to notice you tying your shoe like that. I'm sorry, let me introduce myself, my name is Elijah" the guy said to me and offered me a hand. I shook his hand and smiled at him "well, I like that you tell what you think. Like an open book. My name is Mila, I just got here today, and it's really confusing to find anything," I said and felt self-conscious because of my oversharing. I gathered enough confidence to look back up at him as he started speaking again "Don't worry it'll get easier I promise but until then I will be your tour guide. If you want me to of course" he half smiled at me.

His smile was gorgeous. He had quite big lips that he smirked with to the right side of his beautiful face. His eyes were almond shaped and a light olive shade. His skin was dark and warm and welcoming in a friendly way filled with freckles spread out in random places but mostly around his nose. He had a slightly big nose placed in the middle of his face. The one thing that caught my eye at first was his untamable hair that shot out to all sides. "I would like that very much. Thank you Elijah" I said smiling at him.

Elijah showed me the places I should go and when to go there. While he showed me around we talked about everything that we could think of. What classes we would take, what we wanted to major, he told me the hottest gossip about the professors, and let me tell you there was a lot of hot gossips. "Let me tell you about professor Martínez. He is an absolute goddess but as many of the female students would be able to kiss and tell about he is also a beast. A beast in bed" he winked at me. "Elijah, don't tell me that he actually sleeps with his female students?! That's so sick" I said disgusted with what I just heard. "Just wait until you see him. You will want extra credit. I see you have him in sociology." He winked at me again and laughed and he cracked me up as well. "Are you going to be living here on campus?" He asked me and looked hopeful. "Actually yes, for now, I was hoping to find something to live in by myself, but I don't want to use all of my savings right away" I smiled. I told him where on campus I would stay and he showed me to my room but left so I could get my things ready for class. I was very grateful I had met him.