Uneventful days can always be the best days.

Chapter 6: UNEVENTFUL DAYS CAN ALWAYS BE THE BEST DAYS.

That night I could barely sleep. I woke up early the next morning. I couldn’t get back to sleep so I got up, had a shower and got dressed. I decided to dry my hair and straighten it; I had time. I never usually did my hair, normally I would just wash it, then put it up messily while it was still wet, I know, really bad for your hair, but I don’t care. After what seemed like an eternity it was time for me to leave for school. I walked listening to my iPod all the way. I tried to concentrate on the words, melody, guitar, drum solos, but nothing worked. My mind was permanently fixed on Bobby. Every time I blinked his face came into my mind. I listened to some Nirvana as I was walking into school, ‘Son of a Gun,’ off their album ‘Insecticide.’ Kurt Cobain was one of my favourite singers and I was really upset about him dying, even though it was before my time. No Kurt, No Nirvana. Bobby came running up to me, put his warm soft arm around me, enveloping me in his warmth, and preceded to show me a heavy metal video on his iPod touch. The guy singing in it had a massive bullring in his nose! That was all he wanted to show me, but I admit, it was pretty grotesque. Why would you do that to yourself?

The rest of the day was pretty much uneventful. Bobby spent most of the day with his other friends, the guys, as he called them. The only thing of interest that happened that day was that Kelly sat next to me in English and talked to me cheerfully about her plans for the weekend, she even had the guts to invite me to her movie marathon night. I guess she was using the ‘forgive and forget’ technique. I could accept that. I didn’t really want to go, so I told her I had something else on, hiding the fact that I didn’t want to spend the weekend, or 5 minutes for that matter, with her. Although I would build a bridge and get over it, I still wasn’t happy that she had told horrible lies about me to Bobby.

Oh yeah, one more slightly interesting thing happened that day. At the very end of the day I was walking out of school when Bobby came up to me, grabbing my attention by kicking the back of my bag a few times. It bounced up and down a few times like a bobbing apple and then Bobby’s face appeared, innocent as everm at my shoulder. “So,” he said very teasingly, with a wicked grin on his face, “I heard what you said yesterday…” He trailed off, tantalisingly. After a pause he added, “Across the road,” to clarify exactly what statement he was referring to. As if I didn’t already know! I gulped down my sudden regret and replied, “Yes?”

“Well, I was thinking,” he returned my reply, and I stopped walking, “about what you said,” he was deliberating, dragging this out. Anyone else, and I would have described him as a jerk, but who could say that about a face like his?

“And? Come on, I haven’t got all day!” I retorted, although it came out a little ruder than I had meant.

“And… well… I don’t know, but if you like me… and I like you… then…” I wasn’t going to go through all this. “Bobby,” I said, rolling my eyes, “Do you want to go out with me?” I instantly blushed; I’ve never done something so daring in my life, to date.

Bobby’s face plunged into deep redness, “Yes,” he said so timidly I hardly heard him. “I have to go,” he added, more confidant this time, “But I’ll see you tomorrow, for sure!” I smiled and gave him a hug. He whispered in my ear, “I like liking you as more than a friend.” I felt myself blush a little again, but it was gone soon. Once out embrace was over I had to run to catch the green man. I don’t remember anything else form the walk home. I definitely wasn’t watching the footpath. My mind had been engulfed by the image and thought of Bobby.

            I walked to my room really calmly and closed the thick wooden door behind me. When I was sure no one was listening I started screaming into my pillow, to drown out the sound. I got up and was jumping around, as quietly as I could, silent screams getting stuck in my throat. My eyes were tightly clamped shut. It might sound like I was in pain, but really I was ecstatic! After about five minutes of these actions I had calmed down and was laying on my bed, facing the roof. I still had the little green glow-in-the-dark plastic stars attached to my roof. Mum had put them up years ago, but I had never been able to let go of them, there was something special about them, I just wasn’t sure what. I decided that one day soon I would take them down; they were a little childish for me, although they still matched my room, sadly. I was in desperate need for some re-decorating. One day, soon.

            I went out to the kitchen, finding myself ravenous. I opened the fridge, staring at its contents for what could have been over 10 whole minutes. I closed the fridge door with my bum, as my arms were laden high with ingredients for a good healthy salad. My eyes caught the glowing lights of the microwave clock. Were my eyes deceiving me? It couldn’t possibly be 10:30 already! All household action had ceased and everyone had gone to sleep, thanks for the heads up on dinner guys. I made a sandwich really quietly and snuck back to my room, turning off the few lights that were still aglow on my way. Even though there was nothing to do but eat my sandwich, I somehow managed to stay up until 11:00 before crashing, fully clothed, on my bed, leaving the mess of crumbs and my plate on the desk next to my bed. I still couldn't believe everything with Bobby, maybe I dreamt it all…