Fifteen: Want to go Home

“Quick, finish her off,” another voice said from a distance.

“Yeah, gimme a sec.”

“What? ‘Finish her off’? Get off me!”

Her voice came out slightly strangled as her neck was positioned in an extremely uncomfortable way. Her chin was twisted painfully to the side, and the ground scraped against her smooth skin.

“Wait! Billy! Come here!” the brawny man yelled on top of her. The amount of muscles he possessed made Ciara wince.

“What?” the more distant voice drawled. “What do you not get when I say finish her off? Shit, is this the daughter of the rick woman?”

“Yeah, man! We can get loads of cash with her!”

Oh no, you won’t.

Struggling under her possible kidnapper’s hold was almost impossible. It was like trying to make a block of rock move. Not to mention the man did look like a block of rock himself.

“I h-have no idea what you’re talking about,” Ciara said through gritted teeth. “I will not tell anyone what I saw, okay?”

Ciara’s mind told her that she no longer heard the earlier woman’s screams—which certainly wasn’t a good thing. She struggled to think, but it was like cotton was stuffed into her head. She simply couldn’t. She was hauled off the floor. One side of her chin continued to stung, but it was the least of her concern. She caught two faint blurs out of the corner of her eyes. That was quickly gone as someone blindfolded her.

“Toss her in the trunk, and we get out of here.”

What? No! I’m not going anywhere!

Her throat was too dry to form words. There was no possible way of escaping she could think of. Now that they blindfolded her, it was impossible. She was never too fit so running blindly was out of the question. She thrashed around and tried to bite whatever that was too close to her.

“Feisty one, ain’t ya.”

Her head snapped to a side, and her cheek stung from the slap. Her breath got caught within her as the significance of the situation fell on her.

This was real.

Something rough wound itself around her wrists. All hopes vanished from her chest. There was simply no way she was now getting out of this. A small yelp left her mouth, and the next thing she knew, she was thrown over someone’s back. This made the last time she was thrown over someone’s back so much more appealing.

Seconds later, she was roughly tossed into what she assumed was a car’s trunk. Seconds later, another large object was flung in as well. The place smelled worse than garbage. Ciara wanted to throw up though the more rational side of her brain told her that was anything but a smart move. If she didn’t faint from this sudden turn of events, she would from the scent permeating every inch of the accursed cramped place.

Her head bumped the top of the trunk roughly, bruises no doubt forming on her scalp. Something cold brushed across her cheek, leaving a trail of sticky wet substance.

Ciara’s mind churned.

She tentatively sniffed the air once more. Through the revolting scent filling the tiny space, she could just pick out a metallic scent.

Metallic scent…

As if on cue, something soft that reminded her of human hair scraped her neck lightly. Her heart instantly stopped beating, and she sucked in a sharp breath. A deafening scream left her lips, and she used her leg to push the large object as far away from her as possible as if it was a contagious plague.