Leaving

The doorbell rang, letting me and Lindsey know that my parents were here for dinner. We had big news to tell them tonight.

"I'll get it." He said, getting up from his seat at the table and going to let my parents in.

"Thanks," I mumbled back. He knew I was nervous to tell my parents. Dad wouldn't be very happy with us and my mom would probably cry. I hated to make her cry.

"TeeDee!" My mother came in and hugged me.

"Hi Mom." Her hugs made everything feel better for a moment. "Watch out. Hot stove." I pushed her backwards. "Where's dad?"

"He has some sort of bug. I'm sorry, TeeDee." She rubbed my shoulder.

"S'okay." That made telling her easier to do. "That's more food for us."

"Goodie" Lindsey finally said after his silent spell.

Dinner went fine. I could barely eat. Nerves got the best of me, which usually didn't happen.

"Mrs. Nicks, me and Stevie have some news." Lindsey started the conversation for me. He knew I'd never do it.

"Oh Lindsey, you know to call me Barbara." She tried to make everything lighter. I think she knew what was coming. "What is it, you two?"

"Um," Lindsey grabbed my hand under the table. "Me and Lindsey," I corrected myself, grammatically. "Lindsey and I," I sighed.

"We are gonna move." Lindsey finished my incomplete sentence, "To LA."

"Wow." Was all that came out of her mouth. "That's not too far."

"Right." I sighed again. "We wanna try to make a record."

"That's good." She looked at me, then at Lindsey. "You guys need to get out of here. Try new things and see different places."

"So," Lindsey looked at her for the first time in the conversation. "You're not upset, or mad?"

"Well, I'll miss you kids, but," she smiled, "I realize that my babies aren't gonna stay with me forever."

"Mom?" I asked quietly, she looked at me. "Thank you."

"For what, sweetheart?" Lindsey drew small circles into my wrist.

"For understanding." I pushed food around my plate. "It means a lot."

"Stevie," she reached her hand over to me and held my hand. "I want you two to be as happy as you can be."

The evening continued easily. Everything I was nervous about seemed so silly now. When my mom left, Lindsey was waiting for me in our small bedroom doorway.

"Baby," I said, snuggling into his chest. "Thank you too."

"Why?"he whispered, hugging me into him.

"You helped me so much." I kissed his neck, "I can't wait to move out of this apartment and start a new life with you."

"We're gonna be famous!" He laughed.

"You're gonna be famous, Lindsey."

Nothing had ever made me doubt Lindsey, but now, in that moment, I was sure that he was the one.