Epilogue

I can't believe I've finished my first book!  This is the first draft and I would like to seek publication someday, so please feel free to comment and thank you so much for reading! :)

       It had been six months since she and Matthias had gone to war with the merfolk. They had tried to use their wind and rain to whip up the sea enough to sink them, but as had been promised, the boat refused to go down. Then they'd tried to overtake them using their numbers as an advantage. Fortunately, Matthias had a right to be proud of the vessel's unique design.

       They had repelled them by the dozens as the various nets and hooks he'd had in his arsenal did the rest of the work. When all was said and done, the remaining creatures had slunk off to lick their wounds. The sky turned blue once more and the storm clouds faded away to nothing. There was no telling how many had been slaughtered, and after Matthias had rid the ship of their stinking corpses, they'd both been happy to head for land.

       Meriel rubbed her swollen belly and smiled. The storm that day had set a record. There had even been a couple of whales beached alongside the other species of marine life dotting the coastline the next day. Her smile faded a little, too many innocent lives had been lost. Next time would be different, they would meet them way out on the open sea where their talents could do the least amount of harm to others.

       Taking a deep breath, she blew it out slowly and watched as tiny bubbles rose to the surface. She was hovering gently over an unfathomable depth and staring out towards the open sea. There was a solid rock face behind her and she'd never found much of consequence below so it had been a good place to learn about her own unique talents.

       It was so peaceful here and she sighed as she swam through a gap in the stone and headed for the wooden posts that marked the location of the dock. Once she'd reached the ladder, she swam gracefully to the surface and smiled up at Matthias who'd been keeping a look out for her.

       “Never gonna git use ta that,“ he muttered shaking his head as she hauled herself up onto the deck where he waited patiently with a soft cotton robe.

       He'd been pretending to whittle, but she could see that the chunk of wood he'd started with now resembled a much smaller chunk of wood, but that was about it. She leaned over and kissed his grizzled cheek. He huffed and puffed a bit, but she knew he was pleased.

       “How are you doing, old man?“ she asked as she nudged him playfully.

       “I'd be better if ya'd hold off on trainin' till the... little un arrives,“ he grumbled.

       This was not a new conversation. He worried, but the more time she spent submerged, the stronger she felt. Meriel knew it would drive her insane to spend more than half a day out of the water. The pull was as strong as any drug addiction, and though he protested, she knew that on some level, he understood.

       “How about if I promise to stay in the cove?“ she recited.

       “I s'pose I could take ya at yer word on that?“ he played along.

       “Mermaid's honor,“ she replied with mock gravity.

       “Go on wit ya,“ he caved. She hugged him and carefully rose up to waddle back towards the ship. She didn't get far before he called out, “Fun is fun girl, but there's no honor fer them.“

       Meriel nodded. She knew. She knew very well. He'd turned away, but she studied Matthias for a moment as he turned back to consider the ruined twig in his hand. She smiled as he scratched his beard and shook his head at what he had created. She'd grown very fond of him and hated to make him worry.