Chapter 9

Meriel took a deep breath. She didn't know how long she'd been sitting in her car trying to work up the nerve to go inside, but it was time to face her fears. Her apprehension at seeing Dylan again just didn't make any sense. After lunch the other day she'd felt more relaxed in his company and had even been looking forward to getting to know him better. Then she'd had the dream. While she couldn't believe that it had been real, she also couldn't deny that there was an intense passion lurking just beneath his smile. That intensity scared her. Her hand paused for a few heartbeats, hovering, before she finally gathered her strength, grasped the door knob firmly and turned it.

       Upon entering the Lamplighter Inn she was impressed by its elegance and charm. The outside was weather-worn and rundown, but once inside, she could tell that someone had sunk a bunch of money into restoring the interior. The carpet in the lobby was a rich burgundy that gave the room a touch of classic charm, and the walls had been painted a gentle cream. Combined with the soft lighting, the lobby radiated with warmth and hospitality.

       With the door closed firmly behind, she could feel the evening chill that she'd carried in from the parking lot disappear. Dylan was no where in sight and she took advantage of his absence to appreciate her surroundings and let the ambiance soothe her anxious psyche. The chandeliers twinkled at her merrily and soft piano music floated from a room off to her right. That was the most likely place for the dining room, so that was where she headed.

       As she entered the dining area she was impressed by the beautiful decor. The walls were a rich mauve color that was complimented by the warm antique light fixtures. The tables were spaced for intimacy and each was dressed with clean linens, elegant place settings and in the center of each table was a small candle shaped like an old oil lamp. Dylan was no where to be seen, but the bar, made of a beautifully rich mahogany, stood out from the far wall. She locked onto to it as though she'd found an oasis in the desert.

       There were few patrons tonight, but in a couple of weeks when summer really kicked in, she imagined that this place would be pretty busy. It was close to the beach and easily within reach of several historical landmarks, not to mention being one itself. A couple sat at a far table making lovey faces at each other while an older gentleman, a little rough around the edges, sat at the bar with his head buried in his drink of choice. No one was paying any attention to her, so she checked the clock on the wall for time and climbed up onto one of the elegantly cushioned stools.

       The bartender had started towards her, but something behind her changed his mind and he moved off with a shrug back towards where he'd been planted when she came in. She started to turn to see what had caused the poor service, but before she could move a strong hand had wrapped gently around her left arm and a glass of decadent red wine had materilized on her right. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Dylan.

       As though she had spoken his name aloud, he released his grip on her arm and slid gracefully in front of her so that he was able to favor her with a sultry smile as he presented the wine with a flourish. She smiled weakly and his demeanor fell slightly.

       "Was it something I said?" he asked warily.

       "No, no, it's not...you. I guess I just didn't sleep so well last night."

       "I have a cure for that you know," he said.

       She thought of meeting Lyle and how he'd tried to get her to invite him in on the night they'd met even though she kept trying to brush him off.

       "I could tuck you in."

       She shivered and blinked away the memory before trying to paste a bright smile on her face. He eyed her strangely for a second.