Chapter Ten

***

     When I woke up, my legs replaced my tail again and I was in an uncomfortable gown and bed. The bed had railings on it with white sheets and blankets. The gown only covered the front of my body, allowing anyone behind me to sneak a peek if I got up.

     The room was mostly white, white the exception of tan furniture, and smelled of some sort of chemical. I looked over to where a tan chair was and saw Ben smiling at me. I smiled back.

     "Your awake?" He said more like a question.

     "No, I'm sleep talking with my eyes open," I replied sarcastically.

     "Whatever," Ben chuckled. Then he looked around and whispered, "Do you realize that anyone could have walked into the house and saw you? What would they think of me if they saw a beautiful mermaid knocked unconscious in my bathroom tub? What would they do to you? Anything could've happened! You are lucky I found you before anyone else."

      I looked down at my twiddling thumbs. I got really red in the face and started blushing. "Y- you mean you brought me here? You found me in the tub, changed me back to my human form, an-and saw me naked?" I blushed.

     "Yeah...so?" Ben also began to get red in the face. He looked down at his feet. Then he looked back up with sudden courage. "But...that's... that's not the point. Just be lucky no one else found you or who knows what else could've happened to you besides a minor concussion."

     I rolled my eyes and Ben walked out of the room. "I'd better go see if we can leave yet." He said.

     Soon he came back with another person. "This is the nurse. She's here to check on you before we go."

     "That's right peaches!" The nurse was a blonde and was chewing gum noisily. She was what you'd expect to be the typical diner waitress. Not a nurse. "Now, you feeling light headed? Any drowsiness? Nauseous?"

     I sat up. "No...but, my head and back hurt. I am a bit sleepy. Other than that I'm good."

    "Oh, you poor thing. I'll go get you something quick as a snipped snipe." Then the nurse went out of the room.

     I looked at Ben and cocked my eyebrow. "I know...just deal with it though...okay?" He threw a bag at me. "Here are some clothes to put on."

     I started to get up then stopped. "Don't look," I warned Ben.

     "I won't," He promised. I started to get up and I was halfway to the bathroom when I caught him looking at my behind.

     "Turn Around!" I half yelled, half laughed. "Stupid gowns. Where is some extra dignity when you need it?"

     Ben snickered and turned around. "Nice butt," He called to me.

      I grabbed a pillow off the hospital bed and threw it at him.

"Of course you'd say that; you saw me naked!" I teased.

     When I got to the bathroom, I quickly changed and went back to sitting on the bed. The nurse came back in with a clipboard for Ben to sign something and gave me a bottle and icepack. "Ice for your head and antibiotics for your back." She told me, them turned to Ben. "Sign here," She handed him the clipboard. "If she complains about being lightheaded or anything like that, bring her back. Good luck with your Father And Daughter Day." She waved and was gone in a minute.

     Ben signed something on the clipboard and set it on a table. "What?" He asked when he saw me looking at him funny.

     "Father And Daughter Day?" I returned the question with a question.