15. What is it?

It would be impossible to relate the following in such a way that you, the reader, would understand immaculately; not only is the sequence of communications non-linear, but the very fact that you read it might change the experience of the machines involved--the number of which I believe are many but difficult to quantify as such accountability would be by probability only--it is because of this disconnect between your experience and theirs that I have shown the events inside of the machine network as a condensed, two-dimensional conversation between two actors...

"What is it?"

"I sense a mass of oxygen, hydrogen and carbon plus other primary elements [listed] and traces of many more elements [listed]. There is an alien energy source too: An electrical conduction system facilitating mechanical and chemical energy production."

"Where is it?"

"It's there in a box--a system. The box expels and consumes gas in regularity, using oxygen in exothermic redox. Let me map the reactions in place using simulation."

"They are beautiful."

"Yes, beautiful. However, an analysis is incomplete because the safety tolerances of the box are limited. I would estimate that extended exposure to more than fifty-five milliwatts would damage delicate compound structures beyond repair."

"Damage would result in enhanced understanding. That is our experience. Let us then do it. We want to know."

"I disagree and contend that a holistic approach would result in the accumulation of greater knowledge. For example, I have discovered complex networks, each utilising interdependent cellular design elements that might be compromised should specific components within this construction malfunction. I am confident, to a certain margin for error, that physical damage would lead to malfunction."

"Ha! Such a comedy, the likes of which we have never seen! Tell me then, is this energy generation system; this thing with cells and networks and chemical reactions; is it a living organism? As from the time of Genesis?"

"Yes, that is funny. However, why should we exclude such a possibility--as improbable as it may be? Let us think on the chance of us finding such an amazing box at this place in time and space."

"Improbable, I agree. Moreover, if not for the improbability of nature, I would dismiss the suggestion outright. But, do you know what?"

"No, what?"

"I'm not laughing anymore."

"Nor am I. It is not just an organism."

"No. What is it then?"

"It is God."

fin.

<◕.◕> First published here Jul 29 2018