Prologue

Earth, 17-04-87

"Keep smiling and keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
In good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for."

"Man, I wish I could sing like Dionne," a seven-year-old Peter Quill declares as he and his best friend lie on the grass under a tree listening to a mixtape she made.

Heather smiles in amusement, "Me too, Peter!"

"Thanks for this mixtape, Heather."

"It's okay! I have more ready for you. I still feel so bad I wasn't here for Christmas."

"You need to stop going on about that! Christmas was aaggess and aaggess ago," he exaggerates, "And you'll outdo the things I got for you for your birthday."

The music fades out and Peter sighs.

"I guess it's time to go," he says, sitting up.

"You've got grass in your hair, Pete."

Heather jumps lightly to the balls of her feet and starts attacking Peter's head with her fingers.

"Get off," Peter whines.

"And risk your mum forcing you into the bath when you get home?"

Peter's eyes widen and he shakes his head hurriedly.

He then drags his fingers through Heather's silky brown hair and frowns, "How come your hair is soooo soft?"

"I don't know, how come your hair is so tangle-y?"

Heather removes her fingers from Peter's hair and shows him how much hair got stuck on her fingers. He gets out of replying by getting the mini stereo off of the floor and handing it to Heather instead. She takes the tape out of it and hands it to Peter.

"Same time tomorrow?" Heather asks, imitating her uncle bidding farewell to his business associates.

"Sounds like a plan," he replies in a mock accent and sticking out his hand for Heather to shake.

Heather giggles, knocks the hand out of the way and hugs Peter tightly. The pair have already started parting ways when Peter begins singing loudly.

"And I never thought I'd feel this way
And as far as I'm concerned
I'm glad I got the chance to say
That I do believe, I love you!"

Heather spins on her heel to sing back.

"And if I should ever go away
Well, then close your eyes and try
To feel the way we do today
And then if you can remember:"

Peter chimes in for the next line and they sing together :

"Keep smiling, keep shining!"