Chapter Two

“Wanna stop by the shack on the way and grab something to drink?” Aimee suggested.

“I don't have any money with me.” I replied patting my pockets.

“That's okay, I wasn't going to let you pay anyway.” She laughed.

As we walked along the beach I was having serious troubles, she has obviously walked through the sand millions of times. On the other hand my ankles bent every which way as I wobbled up to the tiny hut.

“One grape soda and a...” Aimee trailed off and turned to face me, “What would you like, Lauren?”

“Do they have sweet tea?” I asked.

She answered my question by telling the tan boy that I'd like a sweet tea. The boy nodded once and disappeared. Aimee leaned on the small counter top, and picked at her nails, biting them every so often.

Her silky black hair was straightened and laid at the small of her back. She was tiny, probably size zero or a one. She had freckles on her cheeks and on the bridge of her nose. The boy came back with a bottle of dark purple soda and a tall glass of sweet tea.

“That'll be $3.97”

She put a five down, and smiled.

“Thanks, Lee.”

*

The fire was now in view. There was about twenty or more lawn chairs around the fire, all had people filling them. Some chairs even had two people with someone sitting on the others lap. Other people stood or sat on the coolers.

“Hey, look it's Aimee!” A deep voice from the circle announced, pointing in our direction.

“You must be the life of the party.” I joked.

Aimee chuckled and shook her head. “More like 'the-girl-who-owns-the-million-dollar-house' they think I'm made of money or something.”

Before I could say anything Aimee grabbed my wrist and started running towards the crowd. When we stopped at the table with the radio on it, I flailed my arms everywhere trying to keep my balance in the uneven sand. Looking like a fool prevented me from falling backwards and knocking over everything.

“Who's this?” Several people asked Aimee in unison.

“HEY EVERYONE!” I had no clue such a loud noise could come from Aimee's small frame.

Everybody stopped what they were doing and turned their attention towards us. Everything fell silent.

“THIS IS MY NEW FRIEND LAUREN DANIELS! SHE LIVES IN THE PALE YELLOW HOUSE NEXT TO ME, SHE JUST GOT HERE FROM WASHINGTON. DON'T MAKE ANY REMARKS ON HOW PALE SHE IS. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, MAKE HER FEEL WELCOMED.” I was so embarrassed.

“Come meet Harry and Cole.” She tugged at my sleeve.

We pushed our way through the many lawn chairs and teens that smelled like alcohol. She let go of me and approached a tall, handsome boy with blonde hair. Aimee gave him a quick kiss and wrapped her arm around him, as he did to her.

“This,” She said motioning to the boy next to her, “is my boyfriend, Cole.”

“And your Lauren.” Cole said.

“Pointing out the obvious,” Aimee giggled and turned to a boy sitting in a navy blue lawn chair, “This is Harry, you two should get along well.” She winked at me and walked away with her boyfriend.

He looked almost, familiar, where could I have possibly seen him before? I haven't been in Michigan since I was thirteen years old. I decided to just shrug it off because I knew there was no way I had met him before. Harry stood from his chair and turned to face me. He was hands down the most beautiful boy I had ever laid eyes on. He stood at about 5 foot 10 inches, towering over my 5 foot 1inch body. He had curly, deep brown hair, and eyes the color of emeralds. His baby pink lips curved slightly into a smile.

“Hi.” He said awkwardly, but with a smile.

“Hi,” I'm sure my voice was barely audible.

“Here sit,” He said, pointing at his chair.

“I'm fine.”

“No really. Sit down.” He ordered in a British accent that I just noticed.

I did as he said. He pulled up a small red 'Budweiser' cooler and sat on it. Where did he manage to grab a cooler that didn't have loads of people either digging for a drink or making out on?

You could literally feel the awkwardness. Neither of us had a clue what to say, so we just sat there, looking at each other. Finally, I ripped my gaze away and watched the fire. I pulled my legs up onto the chair and sipped on my tea which was still clenched in my hands.

“Perhaps we could go for a walk?” He suggested.

“Erm, why not?”

As we walked down the beach, I looked out at the water. The sun floated just above the horizon, getting ready to set. Pinks, oranges, yellows, and reds flooded the sky. I looked back at Harry, and noticed he was walking towards a wooden stair case, which to my guess, was the public access.

“We can leave our shoes here.” Harry told me as he slipped off his shoes. I never noticed he had on toms, too.

I climbed up to the platform after the first flight of steps. “Nice shoe choice,” I giggled, kicking off my shoes by his.

“There's one thing in common.” He laughed.

We walked back down the steps and headed up a sand dune. I fell over and over again, not being able to maneuver myself up the sand. Next thing I knew, Harry grabbed my hand and guided me up behind him. We sat facing the water, watching to sun begin to set. This was perfect.

“You know, you're actually kind of beautiful.” He said, I could feel his intense green eyes on me.

I blushed and pulled my knees to my chest. We sat in silence as we watched the glowing sun slowly melt into the lake water. The colors still lingered in the air, I stretched out my legs, folded my arms behind my head and laid on the sand, staring at the sky.

Harry and I just laid in the sand, neither one of us said a word. We both just admired the sky, it seemed as if I had only blinked and the light was gone, but stars were scattered everywhere. I looked to my side, wondering if he was even still here. Sure enough, his relaxed body, was next to mine. His fingers locked and placed over his stomach.

**********

hey lovelies! 

this story has only been up for two or three days and it has over 2000 reads! that's insane! i'll update soon, probably on friday or saturday.

if you'd like an early update, be sure to vote/fan/comment. :)