Chapter One

A bead of sweat ran down my forehead, as I searched around for my Aunt Karen's old tan minivan in the airport parking lot. I heard the rattling piece of junk coming from my left, it was in the distance, but I could still hear the distinct sound of the loud engine. I put my hand up to shield my eyes from the blinding July sun, I spotted the vehicle about a hundred meters away. Even from here, I could already tell that it was even more beat up than the last time I saw that van. Jesus, Karen. Don't you think it's time for a new car?

The van rolled up next to me and came to a slow stop. The squealing from her brakes caught the attention of nearly the whole lot. I was positive every human could hear this piece of shit from a mile away. I put my hand on the hot, black door handle and slide the backseat door open, and to my surprise, the door didn't fall off. I shoved my burgundy suitcase in the back, on the duck taped seat. I sighed, hoping my Aunt Karen couldn't hear me. I slammed the door shut and reached for the front passenger handle. As I turned, the glare off the window nearly blinded me. My vision was going back to normal when I finally made my way into the car.

“Hey, doll.” My Aunt Karen chirped the second I sat myself on the chocolate colored seat cover.

“Hey Aunt Karen.” I breathed out, relaxing my weight.

“Call me Karen, dear. When you say 'Aunt' it makes me feel old.” She chuckled.

As an awkward silence filled the car, I rolled down my window, breathing in the sweet summer air. I closed my eyes and took in the Michigan scent. (A/N: When I say scent, I mean how your house has a scent, but you don't notice it. And when you go into a friends home, you can smell their home's smell. Do you know what I mean? Hahaha, sorry if I confused you. I'm babbling. Oops.)

“So, your like fourteen n-” Karen broke the silence.

Cutting her off, I corrected her, “Seventeen. I'm seventeen, Karen.”

“Sorry, Lauren. I haven't seen you in nearly nine years.”

“I forgot. Sorry.” I muttered, looking at my lap and twiddling my thumbs.

The radio was a whisper, but I caught the beginning of one of my favorite songs. I felt odd reaching over to turn up the volume. But I turned it up a bit and quietly sang along to Somebody I Used To Know.

'Now and then I think of when we're were together,

Like when you said you felt so happy you could die.

I told myself that you were right for me,

But felt so lonely in your company.'

“I've never heard this song, but I like the guy and the girl's voice together. Very beautiful.” Karen said, talking out loud.

But, it was me singing along to the radio. If I kept quiet, it was only a male voice. My face started to heat up, although many people have told me how well I sing, I never believed it myself. Was I actually good enough to be mistaken for a voice on the radio?

I remembered what the neighborhood had looked like. Most of the waterfront homes were two or three stories, and cost just over 1.2 million dollars. Some how my Aunt could afford that, and I do not have one clue how.

We pulled up in the driveway and it was almost exactly how I remembered it. She had a garage that could fit about seven cars in there. Her house was magnificent, beautiful, and I was very thankful to be staying here until late October.

“I'll grab your bag and then we can go upstairs and I'll show you your room.” She smiled.

I slide out of the van and followed my Aunt into the huge house. I was admiring the new paint she had splashed on her walls. I absolutely loved all her furniture. As I was taking in the beauty of her home, I was oblivious to what she was saying. I snapped out of my daze and focused on her.

“And I remembered that you absolutely love elephants. Remember when I took you to a thrift store and we bought all the little elephant statues, and even then unique vintage print stuffed ones? Well, they've been in the room you'll be staying in, ever since.” I was glad she remembered my love for elephants. I always have loved them and always will.

“Thanks, Karen. You really didn't have to do this.” I stated, feeling overwhelmed by all her kindness.

She waved her hand like it was nothing, “Hey it's Friday right?” I nodded. “Oh, goody! You get to go to the bonfire. All the local kids go, they have a bonfire on the beach every Friday night. My neighbor has a daughter about your age, I'll introduce you!” She explained.

Karen threw a hot pink sweatshirt at me, in blue lettering it read 'Ludington State Park Softball'. I slipped the hoodie over my head. “It'll be kind of chilly, so you'll wanna wear that. Wear a nice pair of shorts, too.” She smiled.

“Uhm, Karen. I just came here from Washington. I don't even own a pair of shorts.”

“No worries!” She almost shouted, throwing her hands up, “What size are you? I might have an old pair of shorts you could wear.”

I'm so embarrassed, I've never been the smallest girl. I was more on the curvy side if you know what I mean. “Erm, I'm a size 10.” I looked down and remembered when my family lived here in Michigan. In 6th grade I had all the confidence in the world, and then my Mom and I moved to Kalamazoo. I always used to say how my confidence would be that one thing no one could ever take from me. But in 8th grade, every single one of those mother fuckers ripped me apart and torn me down. They took the one thing I said I'd never lose, my confidence. It got so bad, I convinced my Mom to move to Washington before the school year even ended. I hated the fact that they broke me.

“No problem, I wish I was still that small.” Karen grinned and ran out of the room and about two minutes later came back with three shorts.

They were laid out on the bed. On the right there were dark denim jean shorts that looked sorta granny to me. In the middle were a white pair of denim shorts with bronze studs on the outer edge of the pockets. And on the left there were khaki looking shorts. I chose the white shorts and slipped into them, they were a little big in the waist, so I dug through my suitcase and found my favorite thin braided belt and wrapped it loosely around my waist. I ran to the bathroom and ruffled around with my hair, it was straight but a bit messy. I actually liked the way my auburn hair framed my pale face.. I quickly smoothed on a thin line of black eyeliner and brushed on a bit of mascara.

“C'mon, dear! Let's go meet Aimee!” Karen called form the bottom of the stairs. '

I slipped on my toms and hurried down the steps. I met my Aunt at the door and rolled on some cherry chapstick.

“Ready?”

I nodded.

********************************

yeah sooo, HEY GUYSSS. 

well, this is my new story. 

FEEDBACK WOULD BE AWESOME CAUSE ILYSM.

i'm weird. ok.