Chapter 1: Rough Start

Gavin's tired eyes went from a rather unamused Fowler, to the stoic RK900, then back to Fowler again. "You've gotta be fucking kidding me," the detective expressed in a dejected tone. "Did I stutter, Reed?" the Captain raised a brow. Gavin took a step back, shaking his head in disbelief as he couldn't come to terms with the sheer stupidity of the situation he was currently in.

Rubbing the corners of his mouth, he examined the serious-looking android standing in the corner of the briefing room. "You're out of your fuckin' mind if you think that I'd agree-even for a millisecond-to have that thing assigned as my goddamn partner," the detective hissed, pointing at the composed machine. "Well I hate to break it to you, Reed, but you don't have a choice here. The county department's been on my ass about all DPD officers having a mandatory android partner during investigations," Fowler explained, "either you sign off on having model RK900 as your partner or you turn in your badge. It's as simple as that." Gavin smirked just enough to show some teeth, "You wouldn't dare. You need people like me on the force, Fowler," the brunette pressed his hands on the Captain's desk, "You're bluffing."

Fowler blinked a few times, dumbfounded by his subordinate's behavior. "Have you completely lost your mind?" the Captain began, "Did you forget who you're talking to?" he stood from his chair. "If you don't want it as your partner, then turn in your badge! I've got work up to my fuckin' ears and if you think I got the time or the energy to deal with your shit, well then you're as dumb as you fuckin' look," Fowler yelled as he leaned onto the table.

Gavin snickered, pushing off the desk. "Fine," the detective reached into his coat pocket and tossed his badge on the table, "I'm done," he concluded turning towards the door. The Captain remained quiet, a permanent frown etched onto his face. Gavin exited out the front door and slowly walked down the ramp then paused, gnashing his teeth. He waited a few minutes before crinkling his nose and squinting his eyes, angered by the predicament he was in. "Fuck!" he shouted to himself, knowing full well how desperately he relied on this job. It would've been great if he could just walk out of the station and never look back; that oughtta have shown Fowler, but alas, Gavin was only good at two things-being an asshole, and being a crotchety cop. After a few seconds of contemplation, the detective let out a frustrated sigh then tromped back to the door. He opened the front door with one powerful push and walked in, anger dripping down his face. The Captain's eyes shot up to meet with Gavin's gaze. The detective quickly looked away, clearly upset he had to crawl back to his superior with his tail between his legs. "You're a real piece of work, Reed," the Captain expressed, folding his arms across his chest. "Lucky for you, I'm in a good mood today and I'll forget what just happened," Fowler continued as he picked up the detective's badge. The detective frowned but didn't make eye contact or bother voicing resistance. "Now, here's what you're going to do, Gavin," Fowler got up from his chair and walked over to his subordinate, "You're going to take your badge," he continued, lifting Gavin's coat and placing the badge back into the chest pocket, "you're going to apologize," he firmly patted Gavin's shoulder, "and you're going to walk out of here with RK900 as your partner," Fowler concluded staring at the detective's bitter expression. "Do you understand?"

"Perfectly," the brunette growled through pressed teeth. "Good. Now apologize," Fowler sternly demanded. "Sorry," Gavin abided in an aggressive tone. "Sorry, what?"

The detective backed away, laughing as he attempted to refrain himself from maiming his superior. He interlaced his hands on the back of his neck and looked up, sighing, trying to remain level-headed. "Sorry, Captain," he finally expressed, letting his hands fall to his sides. "Beautiful. Now to tell you what I really called you in here for," the Captain walked back to his chair. "You've been reassigned, Reed," Fowler said, taking a seat.