Chapter 9: Confrontation (Revised!)

April was a rainy month, and it was hard to enjoy the spring days when a drizzle constantly poured out from the clouds. Finals were taking place in all of the classrooms, considering we only had a month left of school.

After spring break I really became dedicated to my studies, and the time I didn’t spend with Fawn I spent reviewing for finals. Track season had started and I had those practices to juggle with now, but at least I wasn’t captain. Unfortunately, Cody was in track, too.

Eric was a clingy little peasant, constantly wanting to be with me. And I get that’s supposed to be flattering, but dang son, calm down. He seemed indifferent to the fact he was pissing his sister off beyond belief. Still, I kept him around because I needed the company.

A Tuesday afternoon during track practices Cody and I were running side-by-side. We said nothing and avoided eye contact. He sped up a bit, trying to beat me, and show off his masculine dominance or whatever. I sped up a bit and passed him. We continued this a bit before we both broke into full out sprints, racing each other.

It was almost like we were having the argument we should have had oh-so long ago, but we didn’t need words. We were neck and neck for most of it, but with a sudden burst of adrenaline I pushed in front of him and beat him.

I gave a satisfying, “Humph,” and headed to the locker rooms. As I was walking past, I saw Emma. I hadn’t given her much mind in awhile, but I paid close attention now for some reason. She walked with her fingers interlocked with… not Cody.

They had broken up? How had I missed that? I kind of wished I was there for Cody but I thought, No… He cut you off. He did this.

I went in the locker room and changed back into the daisy-covered dress I had worn that day. I sighed and looked in the mirror. I wasn’t shocked when I looked in the mirror anymore. I was used to it now. I was Natalie Fuller, Co- Queen of this desolate place one might call a school.

I got home after practiced and collapsed on my bed. The “race” had exhausted me. I crashed within moments, but awoke hours later in the darkness of my room. My eyes looked at the clock. 2:07 am.

I pushed myself off my bed, took out my contacts, changed into my “I HEART MATH” shirt (it was what I had clean) and stumbled back into bed. I thought about Emma. I was shocked she couldn’t see what she had in Cody. I mean, he was amazing, and funny, and talented, and- what was I doing?

Cody isn’t your friend anymore. He isn’t there for you anymore.

I shook any positive thought of Cody out of mind before falling back into a deep sleep.

My phone woke me up in the morning.

Fawn: Sick and won’t be there. We’ll wear those matching leggings tomorrow?

I just reassured her we could “twin” another day and got ready for school. I left the house a little earlier, and when I got to school just headed into homeroom.