Chapter 8: Nat the Brat (Revised!)

November came and went, and December filled the airy with snowy mornings. I had gotten accustomed to stares in the hallway now. Who knew such minor changes could cause such big reactions?

As I walked into school the day before winter break, I thought back to everything that had happened since school began.

My life had been a blur of trying to juggle Charmaine, and basketball, and Fawn, and trying to remember why the heck I ever thought I needed Cody in the first place. Basketball season was over, and we had made an impressive impact. Fawn and I made a great team, no matter how artificial it was. We made it to the championships and Coach was thrilled I had led the team there.

Emma wasn’t much of a concern anymore. I had pushed her out of mind at this point. She was below me.

Charmaine and I didn’t hang out nearly as much, but Eric and I did. If I wasn’t at the mall with Fawn, I was at the café with Eric. Life seemed to be ideal- I had a popular best friend and a popular dude crushing on me.

Charmaine’s greetings seemed less bubbly everyday, and honestly I felt bad, but at the same token it had to be done. It was either she or popularity. I mean… come on! This particular morning she seemed more enthusiastic than I had seen her in weeks and she said, “Hey we’re going to a log cabin in Aspen for the holidays and we have room for one more and I was wondering if maybe you wanted to go?”

I had no plans for break yet, my parents not huge enthusiasts for the holidays. It sounded fun and it’s not like nerds would surround me. Funny how you think that, you used to be one of them, I pushed the thought out of my head.

Eric would be there, which would be spectacular. Charmaine and I could talk without my constant concerns of Fawn judging me. It would be fun.

We set the date and I agreed to meet her at 8 the next day.

The school day dragged on, and Fawn wasn’t there. She had left for Hawaii just a day before, leaving me at school without the support of the Queen of Grant Beacon Middle School.

Cody and I hadn’t spoken since the fateful day in September, but now we had begun at least noting each other’s existences. He noticed the changes I had made to myself, and I gave him looks that said, “Your loss.”

Finally, the day ended and I went home in the icy weather of the December day. It was cold and I could heart footsteps behind me. I spun around and saw Eric.

“Oh, hey,” I smiled.

“I saw you were walking, thought you might like some company,” he said, walking really close to me.

“Thanks, Eric.”

“So, heard you were coming with us to Aspen?”

“Mhm,” I assured him.

“Nice. I’ll see you there,” he said, walking me up to my door.