A Fresh Start

I snatched all the bathroom utensils and shoved them into the traveling bag. And gave the area an onceover then walked downstairs. "Everything's packed, Mom. I'm ready to go now."

                "Get the stuff in the trunk and let's go." Mom told me. I did as told and got into the backseat, fastening the seat belt and leaning against the leather work. Mom and John got in the car and readied themselves. "Is your belt fastened?"

                "Need you ask?"

                She chuckled. "Not really."

                Soon we were speeding down the highway, pass throngs of traffic, screeching at trails of ducks that came out of nowhere, and finally stopping at our new house, in a beautifully-named place Black Rose Villa. Actually the word house wasn't exactly an accurate description of the place. It's a mansion.

                "Sweet, isn't it?"John spoke up, motioning towards the huge place.

                I grinned, "Oh, definitely."

                 John tossed me the key. "Go ahead. Have the honor of opening the mansion." I snorted laughter and bounced across the green front lawn. I took a moment to absorb the delicate woodwork design and inserted the key, then turned the knob slowly. I flung the door wide open, sweeping my eyes around everywhere and anywhere, trying to see all of it at the same time. It was...breathtaking...to say the least.

                Mom's light footsteps and John's loud ones echoed through the hallowed halls. I turned to them, "How in the world did you guys manage to buy this?" I inquired.

                They glanced at one another smiling. "We bargained half price." Mom told me.

                My eyes widened so much I thought it might pop out of their sockets. "Half price! Half price!" Suddenly, my surprised expression dropped. "What's the catch?" The two gave me confused stares. Clearly they're not getting it.

                "No one's gonna sell a mansion like this for half the price unless there's something." I lowered my voice to a spine-chilling tone, "The place's probably haunted by a vengeful spirit brutally murdered in the middle of the night. The darkest of dark nights, a curious girl came across a mansion in the middle of dense forest. It was so dark she couldn't find her way back home. So she timidly knocked on the heavy wooden door and it opened to reveal a mid-age man with bloodshot eyes and a sinister smile..."

                "Kathy, you're creeping me out. Please stop that" Mom said, but I can see she's trying not to smile."Go upstairs and see your bedroom. The gardeners and movers are coming soon, enjoy the moment while you can."

+++++

                "No, no, no. No!" My mother screeched at the mover guys who were attempting to move our vintage sofa, grunting and panting. "Not there! Right! To the right. That's too much!"

                John and I once again shared mutual looks and tiptoed out the garden which is the only safe haven available. We promptly sat down on freshly trimmed grass, courtesy of Mom and some poor recently-made-deaf gardeners. I'm willing to bet the movers inside aren't too far behind. I casually observed John subconsciously plucking blades of green plantations.

                "You know, Mom'll kill you if she sees what you're doing."

                John placed a piece of grass between his lips, grumbling in reply. I rolled my eyes and laid down on the cool field. Ahh...Relaxation. I can't believe we've actually moved to such an amazing place like this. A huge mansion, lovely gardens, and richer-than-usual parents. This is the dream life. Certainly makes up for a weird, brother-like stepfather and an occasionally overdramatic mother.

                John turned to me a little while later, "Hey, Kate, do you think we can go back in now?"

                I raised my watch up before answering, "We've been here for about an hour. I think she should be done."

                And sure enough, Mom poked her head out from the wooden door, "I'm finish here. You people can come in and wash up, dinner's ready."

                John and I got up obediently and walked in to the mansion. Upon entering, a delicious whiff of cheese hit me right on the nose. Apparently Mom's not quite done with her Italian food phase just yet. Not that I'm complaining. I sat down on the mahogany chair and spooned in the spaghetti. I thought I was practically shoving food down my mouth, but I was no match for Mr. Hog and his gluttonous behavior. He devour the whole thing within five minutes flat, not stopping until the plate had been lapped clean. I began ravenously eating the carbonara pasta as fast as I possibly could or I would have to starve myself of Mom's Delicacy Special.

                Fighting with my stepfather over the last piece of sweet it occurred to me how silly we were acting. I mean, a bit silly for me, but downright lame for the Digging Pig given that he's well over forty already. Dammit! My mini reverie mad me lose my concentration for a spilt second, but long enough for John to grab the last chocolate piece, gulping it down before I can blink. The guy smirked at me. I banged my head on the table in defeat.

                "Really, Kathy. Don't be so dramatic. Where in the world did you pick that up from?" Mom asked, wiping her hands with a kitchen towel. I merely laughed at the irony. John let out a loud belch. Yep, that's definitely my family.

+++++

                After closing all the lights, I went into my room and securely locked the door. I scanned the room; a sigh of satisfaction left my lips. The whole area is decorated with fade gold, pale yellow, and touches of pink here and there. It was the perfect imitation of sweet, Italian vintage just the way I wished it would be. Not only that, but I also got a huge balcony over viewing our newly trimmed garden. Oh, yeah, did I mention there is a labyrinth made up of purely lavender and rose bushes. I lost myself under heavenly spells of floral scent earlier after I had finished dinner and my fighting fiasco with John.

                Walking dreamily to the balcony, I gazed up the twinkling night sky. The thought of our hilarious banter and mock arguments made me smile as I stared into the beautiful starry night. School's opening next week. Everything is looking great so far, I can't help anticipating upcoming events. A gentle breeze blew against me. Shivering, I drew my favorite blue shawl closer, retreating to the warm enclosure of my very own princess drape bed. Laying under the soft covers, I was gradually pulled into a peaceful dream.