The Lies

=Ellie's Perspective=

I walk to school the day after the incident with Ryan. I feel so guilty. I shouldn't have said the things I said. I keep my head down as I walk.

I sigh quietly. Maybe he'll forgive me.

"Ellie! Your back!" Addie says, running up to me with a smile on her face. I don't want to talk to her right now.

She hugs me, then notices that I'm upset.

"Hey, you okay?" she asks, sympathetically.

"Hi, Addie. Nice to see you, too," I say, trying to force myself to not sound upset. I walk away after that.

=Addie's Perspective=

Something's up with Ellie and I know it.

I start texting Violet.

Hey, Violet. Something's up with Ellie. I text her.

What is it? She answers quickly.

Something's clearly bugging her.

Oh.

And she's not telling us.

Maybe it's none of our business.

C'mon, we're her best friends. Now, do you have any clue of anyone we should ask first about why she might be so upset?

Didn't you tell me she accidentally tripped on someone? She got the guy's number, right? Maybe something happened between them? Do you remember what he looks like?

Violet, your a genius! I didn't even think about that! Ok, meet me at the fountain in the middle of the front of the school. We need to go up to this guy together.

Alright. I'm coming.

Violet meets me quickly. We talk about what he looks like and we find him quickly, talking with some friends. He seems kind of popular.

We walk over and I tap him on his shoulder. He looks at me a little, studying me. I thought he didn't recognize me, but to my surprise he says:

"Hey, Addie."

He turns back to his group of friends.

"Ryan!" I say, causing him to turn around again. "Can we talk?"

Ryan sighs.

"So you know?" he says.

"Know what?" I ask.

"The thing... it happened while me and Ellie missed school? She didn't tell you?"

"No."

Ryan looks over at his friends.

"I'll talk to you guys later," he says, and we follow him so we can talk at the fountain.

When we all sit down, he lets out a huge sigh.

"Ok, so here's what happened," he begins. "Basically, I go over to Ellie's house to hang out. I don't even get inside, but I hear Ellie and her mom arguing. Her mom doesn't want me to date Ellie because she thinks I'll break Ellie's heart eventually. And Ellie agrees that she'll never date me and..."