Chapter One

Chapter One

Copyright © Bethany Shay Porteous 2016 
** Unedited *
*

**Three-ish months before Wolfsbane**

"School's out!" Grace cheered beside me as she punched the air. "I cannot believe we're Seniors next year! We can start planning for College and everything. I am so beyond keen for this. Some time out of pack life and in the real world? Hand it over Imagine all the hot single guys-"

"I bet ten bucks you find your mate before then," I snickered as I hopped into her car.

"That would be my luck wouldn't it," she grumbled.

"I can't believe I have to go to Summer school this year!" I whined.

"Yeah that actually sucks."

"Maybe if you worked a little harder..." my wolf's know-all voice ghosted through my head and I rolled my eyes. She'd been a know it all thorn in my side since my eleventh birthday when she had popped into my head. "Thanks," she muttered.

"You can never just be on my side," I told her with a huff.

A whooping sound came from the big tree we normally hung out under and Grace rolled her eyes as Trey did the impression of a monkey swinging from branch to branch. Josh stood underneath it, not smiling or showing he was impressed – then again we all though Josh was a fifty year old inside of a schoolboys body. My eyes narrowed in on Katherine and her buddies as she stood taking to Aiden who looked uncomfortable but obviously didn't want to be mean.

"Why does your brother spare her feelings for?" I asked in disgust. "He dumped her in April, why does she still insist on hanging around him like a lost puppy?"

"Goddess only knows," Grace hissed as she put her car into gear and began reversing. "She's a total desperado. I'm just glad I don't have to see her rat face around my house anymore. Aiden made a good decision. I think turning eighteen helped glue his head on better-"

Someone loudly honked behind us and Grace turned around with an angry look.

"It's not just your road!" A human shouted with an irritated scowl. "Do you want to move?"

"Do you want me to gut you?" Grace shouted.

Grabbing her arm I pulled her to face the wheel and she huffed, pulling out of the parking lot and onto the road.

"I'm so glad we're getting a break from that place – that year was way too intense. Too many of us are starting to turn eighteen and it's just getting so stressful. I'm glad I have another year." She began checking her lip gloss in her mirror, periodically keeping her eyes on the road.

"This year is going to be even more intense though," I told her as I swept my blonde hair from my neck and into a high ponytail. "A lot more people will be turning eighteen which means a lot more relationship drama."

"Well at least things will be interesting. Listen, come to mine before training and we'll go together. We need to start planning Josh's eighteenth."

"If we throw a party for Josh we have to invite Katherine," I told her. "You know that right?"

"Yes," she sighed heftily. "But we have to invite everyone anyway so we won't even really see her. Anyway mom says we can use the basement again."

"Brilliant," I clicked my fingers.

Grace pulled up on the side of the road outside my house and I admired my mother's garden which had been blooming beautifully all Spring. My eyes narrowed when they landed on the Collins house which was just next door to us. Mom was really close with Mrs Collins – and I admit she was a nice lady, as is her husband but their son Geoff – he was a total prick. He was about four years older than me and had grown up making my life totally mortifying. He'd use any opportunity to embarrass me in front of his friends.