Chapter Four

Chapter Four
©Bethany Shay Porteous 2016
Unedited**

"We were just discussing Geoff's plans now that he's back home in Oregon," mom said over her glass of juice. I personally didn't care what his plans were; I was just doing my best to avoid eye contact with the guy.

"He looks better," my wolf murmured. "He grew into himself."

"Get a grip," I scoffed at her.

"Your mom was saying that you have Summer school this year," Geoff said across the table. I shot an annoyed look at my mother before setting down my cutlery.

"Apparently Math is important," I muttered sourly.

"Most of the time," Geoff chuckled and I did my best not to notice the way his dimples stood out when he smiled. "I'm running the Summer school sessions this year."

"What?" I blurted out. "Haven't you only just got back? How did you manage that?"

"Alpha James sorted it out for me," Geoff said smoothly. "Three days a week we're stuck together."

Joy.

"Look at my boy," his mom gushed. "All grown up and teaching, I'm so proud of you Geoff. You were so discipline all through school and you worked so hard."

Geoff smiled at his mother and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Of course mothers would only see the good in their children but Geoff wasn't as perfect as she made out. There were many nights when I'd catch him scaling the side of his house and sneaking into his room at almost three in the morning.

"Man he looks good," my wolf sighed in my mind and I frowned at her. What the heck was her problem? She used to be on the hate bandwagon with me. "Can't you see how good he looks?"

"I'm doing my very best not to gawk!" I hissed.

"So what are you up to the summer besides extra school?" Geoff asked me.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I'm planning Josh's birthday with Grace. And then mine isn't too long after that so I guess I'll be occupied until then."

No one at the table said anything and I looked around at them, noting glances being swapped and a frown settled on my face. Why was everyone acting so weird for?

"Do they still do parties at the Falls?" Geoff asked.

"Ha! Yes," I said enthusiastically. "There's a few on this summer, it's just getting irritating because more of the humans have been coming along."

"I can't go to them anymore," Geoff realized.

"Yep," my father chortled. "You'll be public enemy number one, a teacher at the Falls party? Your fun days are over my friend."

Suck it, I thought.

"He would look really great in a board shorts," my wolf giggled.

Ignoring my wolf I took a long sip of water, not enjoying the tense atmosphere at the table. Why were they all being so stiff for? I wasn't going to hang around for this awkward lunch party much longer, the whole thing was beginning to make me feel agitated and I couldn't handle the way my wolf kept mooning over Geoff the way she was. Scraping my chair back I stood up, setting my napkin down on my plate.

"Well thanks for lunch," I said to mom. "I'm going for a run."

"Oh!" Mom said enthusiastically. "Why don't you go with Geoff – he was just saying how he wanted to run through the territory."