Earthbenders Unite!

Chapter 9

We waited 12 hours before we headed back to the rig to get Katara. We let Aang go find Katara since he is so quiet. He left Appa, and returned a while later with Katara.

"Your 12 hours are up, where's Haru?" Sokka said. "We've got to get out of here." Aang hopped down onto Appa, and Sokka and I held our arms out to catch Katara.

"I can't." Katara whispered back.

"What do you mean you can't?" I questioned, forgetting we had to be quiet. Sokka shushed me and I remembered. "We don't have much time. There are guards everywhere, and I definitely don't want to be caught. So get your waterbending butt on this flying bison."

Aang is much nicer than I, he noticed Katara's hesitance and asked, " Katara, what's wrong?"

"I'm not leaving. I'm not giving up on these people."

Sokka, Aang, and I got off Appa and sat in a circle of sorts with Katara. "What do you mean you're not leaving!?" Sokka questioned.

"We can't abandon these people. There has to be a way to help them."

"Maybe she's right." Aang agreed. "What do you say, Sokka, Kayta?"

"I say ya'll are crazy, but fine I'm in." I said.

"Are you guys insane?!" Sokka exclaimed. Just then a light shone a bit to close for comfort, so we all huddled down to avoid being spotted. "Last chance, we need to leave – now!"

"No." Katara announced.

"I hate when you get like this." Complained Sokka as he shook his head at Katara's stubbornness. Another light passed by closely. "Come on, we better hide."

Aang whispered something to Appa, and he flew off. Then we went and found a better hiding place, this one was a spot in between many boxes of cargo.

After we were settled in our hiding spot we began to brainstorm what to do. "We don't have much time." Sokka said. "What are we gonna do?"

"I wish I knew how to make a hurricane." Aang random said. We all looked at him like he was nuts. "The Warden would run away and we'd steal his keys!"

"Umm, not that your plan isn't good, but I think the Warden would just take his keys with him." I said, trying to make Aang feel good about his plan. He shrugged in reply. "Anyone else have an idea?"

"I tried talking the earthbenders into fighting back, but it didn't work." Katara sadly told us. "If there was just a way to help them help themselves."

"For that they'd need some kind of earth, or some rock... something they can bend."

"Well the rig is made completely up of metal. Maybe they can bend that! Because metal is just compressed earth, right?" Everyone looked at me like I was talking crazy.

"No one can bend metal Kayta." Aang said. I crossed my arms infront of my chest. It's a better idea than a hurricane baldy. Aang pointed up to where the smoke was rising."But look at the smoke. I bet they're burning coal – In other words, earth!"

After our brainstorming session we got to work. Aang was going to go into the vent and get coal for the earthbenders to use. He would close off the other vents then shoot air up causing all the coal to go up the only open vent. Voila! We would have earth.

It was dawn, and we waited for Aang to do his thing. Then we were suddenly surrounded by six Fire Nation soldiers who pointed their spears at us. Around them were the prisoners in the brown sack clothes.

"There are the intruders!" A guard yelled. I immediately got in a fighting stance, ready to kick some Fire Nation butt.

Sokka took out his trusty boomerang. "Stay back, I'm warning you!" He shouted, trying to seem like he could actually do the guards harm.

One of the older benders said, "Katara stop! You can't win this fight!" Behind him was Haru who looked completely shocked at this statement. I think the older man was his father. Katara too seemed shocked at his words.

"Listen to him well, child." A high and mighty voice said. I looked up to see a man who could only be the Warden standing with many guards behind him. "You're one mistake away from dying where you stand."

I was about the tell him where he could shove it, but before I could air began to rush out of the grate. Then came small pebbles, and finally the heaps of coal poured out. It landed right next to the earthbenders and there it sat. A moment later a soot covered Aang landed on top of it, he coughed a few times due to the dust and soot. Katara ran up on top of the coal and stood tall.

"Here's your chance, earthbenders!" She cried with passion. She picked up a lumo of coal and raised it high. "Take it! Your fate is in your own hands!"

I only saw Haru began to come forward, but his father stopped him. Most of the other prisons moved away from the pile, and it seemed like the Warden would win.

"Hahaha! Foolish girl!" The Warden laughed in victory. "You thought a few inspirational words and some coal would change these people? Look at these blank, hopeless faces. There spirits were broken a long time ago. Oh? But you still believe in them? How sweet. They're a waste of your energy, little girl. You've failed."

Katara's arm fell down, it seemed we lost this fight. I wasn't going down without a fight though. The Warden began to walk away, but was hit with a lump of coal as he left. There stood Haru, spinning the earth in his hand. Maybe we actually had a chance.

The Warden, furous from being attacked, shot fire at Haru. Before I had time to redirect it a wall of coal was thrown up shielding Haru from the blast, his father protected him.

"Show no mercy!" Roared the Warden. The guards and the Warden both shot flames at the no longer helpless earthbenders. The earthbenders blocked the fire one more with a coal wall, this one was a greater size though.

"For the Earth Kingdom, attack!" The fight for freedom began.

 I notice the fires stayed in the coal so perhaps I could bend the coals with the fire. It was worth a shot, so I got into a stance and focused on the fire inside the coal, the whole coal light up and I knew I had it. With a dangerous glint in my eyes, I began pelting the guards with my flaming coals. I wasn't bending the earth but the fire that engulfed the rock.

I shot coal after coal at the soldiers, and when the fires that held the coals ran out the earthbenders used them. We were driving the soldiers back, after a large boulder tore apart the door the Warden began to panic a bit.

"Get to the ship! We'll hold them off!"

"Do not let them escape!" Bellowed the Warden. He and a couple of guards attacked the exit with flames. Aang made a whirlwind of sorts and shot coal, at high speeds, at the warden and his soldiers. The Fire Nation men were knocked down by the force. Then the mighty earthbenders gathered the coal and the guards, including the Warden, into a large pile which they dumped overboard.

We had won! I did a little dance and we got all the prisoners on board the boats, with Sokka, Aang, and I on Appa. Katara said goodbye to her friends. While we swam alongside them.

Katara got on Appa, she was frantic. "Mom's necklace is gone!" She cried when she was safely on board.

"What?!" I yelled in despair. "That's the only thing we had left of Mom! What are we going to do?"

"I don't know."