Chapter 4.

Alex’s POV

“Alex” I heard a whisper in my ear.

“Alex!” the whisper was harsher and i groaned loudly having been woken up.

“ALEXANDRA!” I felt something soft hit my face, “What?” I snapped sitting up and glancing to the pillow which I had been attacked by. I squinted my eyes to look at the culprit grinning down at me. Her long blonde hair had flashes of pink and she had bright green eyes which glistened reflecting the early sun streaming through the window. I instantly recognised her.

“Bianca!” I squealed with excitement, throwing my arms around the girl in front of me. She pulled back and looked at me intently, studying me. I mirrored her actions. She was wearing a baggy t-shirt tucked into a pair of denim shorts, fitting her slim figure perfectly. “wow you’ve changed”, I breathed out. It was true, she looked like a new person from the one I remember and I immediately felt jealous of the 16 year old she had become. Bianca used to be the unnoticed shy kid who loved to be alone and delve into a book, always an avid reader. I remember inviting her over to join me and my friends because I felt bad that she was by herself. However she and I quickly became friends when we realised we both shared a love for superheroes. My favourite film was Sky High which Bianca and I would watch at least twice a week. We often pretended we had powers and would run around the neighbourhood looking for people to help.  The girl who used to hide behind her dusty blonde hair, now wore it pinned back and had bold, pink stripes as if she were making a statement that the small shy girl no longer exists.

“I’m so glad you’re back” Bianca grinned pulling me in for another hug. “I know this is so weird” I giggled at how overwhelmed we both seemed right now. My gaze dropped to the floor and I frowned noticing the scattered cardboard boxes my parents must have bought up. “I’ll help you” Bianca laughed obviously picking up on my expression as she kneeled down, flicking her hair past her shoulder and opening the first box labelled ‘clothes’. “Thanks” I smiled, reaching for some of my neatly folded garments. “So how are you? How is everyone?” I asked, curious to find out what I had missed out on.  “umm”, she paused while hanging up a parka jacket of mine, thinking about her answer, “everyone’s good” she stated simply. “That’s it?” I laughed urging her to continue. “Well I think so at least” she continued “everyone sort of.. broke apart when you left, I guess you were the backbone holding us together so honestly, I have no idea how everyone is because I haven’t spoken to them in years” . I looked at her sceptically; I guess thinking about it Bianca was only friends with them because she hung out with me.

It amazed me already how different things seemed to be, I realised that having never kept in contact with my old friends I probably wouldn’t know them again or know what they’ve become.  Suddenly a thought crossed my mind, “What about Luke?” I asked, watching Bianca for her reaction. She briefly looked my way and pursed her lips together; she always used to do this whenever she was worried or scared. “Who?” she shakily questioned, tilting her head and putting on a confused expression. I frowned knowing she knew who I was talking about. I watched as she sighed and looked back at me “He’s changed Alex” she paused, a look of sympathy flashed through her eyes, “do you want to go get a coffee and I can help you look for a job in the city if you like? I’ll explain what I mean about Luke later but you just got here and I want to catch up with you, not put your mood down” she explained half smiling at me folding the last of my clothes into the draws. I eyed her wearily wondering what could possibly have changed about Luke that would make me upset. I decided to leave it, she was right I only just got here and I don’t want to be troubled with any drama just yet, plus I was really excited to wonder through the city again like old times. “Yeah that sounds good” I replied, grabbing my phone and purse from my bag before heading out the door with Bianca.

-