24

24

Maia and I exchanged a few more words, and I watched her walk off, disappearing into the crowd on the sidewalk. She wouldn't answer how she knew what was going on with my father while we were talking, but she told me to come by Maurice's club later on tonight. I didn't get a bad vibe from her, but I would be taking someone along, just in case.

I noticed Mom watching us the whole time from the vendor's cart, but when we got back home she didn't say a word to me, but she did give me a look that told me to tell her later. I told Grandpa and Ramiro about what happened with Maia, and they told me that I should take Martin with me, instead of one of them. Martin had more experience with Maurice and his line of work, and I agreed that Martin would be a good choice. I was still wary about Martin though, as I only knew what he did to my mother. I hasn't been around him enough to see the greater good in him.

Leaving the meeting room, I came into the kitchen. Mom was making something to eat, and I was surprised to see Martin's son, Major. He was sitting on the counter, swinging his legs back and forth.

"You hungry, Amir?" She questioned, looking over her shoulder. I shook my head, coming over to her. Major smiled at me, extending his arms out towards me. I hugged him, patting his back. I've noticed that Major was a very happy little boy, and must be very well adjusted to Martin, and what he does, now. From the few times I've been around him, he was a good boy.

He was watching Mom closely as she cooked up some food, still kicking his feet back and forth. I heard his stomach growl, and Major frowned. "Mimi, I hungry," Major said, sticking out his lower lip. He was looking directly at Mom, his eyes completely focused on her. I sat down at the island counter, watching her cook.

Mom turned around and kissed the top of his head, making him smile. "It'll be ready in a few minutes, sweetie." Major nodded in response, watching her finish cooking. He sat there patiently, with his hands in his lap. When the food was ready, Mom grabbed a small bowl for Major and scooped whatever was in the pot into the bowl.

He had hopped down from the counter, sitting at the table. Mom placed the bowl before him with a spoon, and he picked it up almost immediately.

"Be careful, Major, it's hot."

"Okay, Mimi."

Once Mom was finished getting Major settled, I pulled her to the side, making her raise her eyebrows at me. She was waiting for me to ask her my question, and I went on ahead. "I know you want to know about who that girl was-"

"Isn't she cute?" She smiled, "Seems like your type too. Where'd you meet her?"

I shook my head. Maia and I? No. She was merely an associate, and someone I extended a favor to. I knew nothing about her, and after her offer of help today, I needed to find out more about her.

"Uh, no, she was just a stri-"

"Mimi! I finish!"

Major ran towards us, wedging himself between us. He was a bundle of energy alright, he hasn't stopped moving all around since he first got here.

"You has a baby?" He asked, placing his tiny hands against Mom's stomach. Then he looked up at her, his big eyes showing that he wanted an answer. She nodded at Major, and placed his head against her stomach. She patted his head, and I saw a smile spread across Major's face.

"I go play."

Mom smiled at him as he skipped away and out of the room, turning back to me. "What do you need, King?" She asked.

"Where's Martin? I need to speak to him."

"Probably outside? That's where I last saw him," she told me.