09

09

"What the fuck?!" 

Grandpa stood up, his chair falling backwards. "You mean to tell me that the sick motherfucker who raped my daughter, sold her as a prostitute, isn't dead! How the fuck isn't he dead, X?!" His jaw was clenched, and his fists were balled up. It didn't take a rocket scientist to tell that he was about to go into a rage, and I didn't want to be around when he exploded. Just like almost every other male in this family, Grandpa had a history of anger problems. 

"You tellin' me, that this sick fuck, might be alive, instead of dead?! How, X?!" 

Ramiro pulled him back, holding his arms behind his back. "Calm down, Dad!" He urged, Grandpa trying to get out of his hold. "You can't be mad at X, it isn't his fault!" Ramiro continued, standing up so he can get full control of Grandpa. The veins in his neck stood out, as well as the veins in his arms. There was an unmistakable look of fear on X's face, and it was understandable. If looks could kill, Grandpa would X buried six feet under, if he could. 

"No, I ain't calming down for shit! My daughter has a fucking son for god sake, and you tell me this shit now! I'm sick and fucking tired of this problem!" 

Ramiro managed to get him to sit down, Grandpa taking a series of deep breaths. X bit his lip, and looked at me, then to Grandpa. He unballed his fists and then clenched them together for a while, his eyes closed. I pulled the folder on the table towards myself, opening it. There was a few pictures inside, all of Martin. He looked like he was just out and about, sometimes doing dope deals. The photos were kind of blurry though, and it could've been taken way before Martin even caught a glimpse of my mother. 

"Maybe..Maybe it isn't Martin? Maybe it's someone really close to him, and he has someone else doing the dirty work for him," I suggested. 

The room fell silent, and Grandpa opened his eyes, staring directly at me. He shook his head, leaning towards me. "You don't understand Amir. It has to be Martin. This man took advantage of your mother, and the nerve to get her pregnant, fooling around with her against her will." 

I looked down back at the photos, and sighed. I didn't want to say anything more. I had a feeling that Grandpa was wrong, but I guess I could talk it over with him later. Now wasn't the best time to be challenging his authority. 

X and Grandpa talked for a little while longer, and then we left, going to a hotel to spend the night. We were going to get a flight back early in the morning, so I had to be ready. I really had nothing to do, since I had already went out and bought Mom's present. It was a little porcelain doll, and I was sure that she was going to love it. I decided to call her up, and see how she was doing. It was exactly 2 am over here, but I wasn't so sure what time it was back in the states. 

Dialing her number, I waited for her to answer. I didn't know if she was going to answer or not, she might be at work, with a client. When she didn't answer, I called the house number, and it picked up on the second ring. 

"Mommy!" I smiled, hearing her laugh on the other line. 

"Baby boy, how's Japan?"

"Boring," I replied. I hadn't got to do much, and all the people on the streets wasn't for me. Plus, they didn't even speak English, so that just made the whole thing terrible. When I was buying the doll, this one woman thought that I was trying to rob her. She nearly beat me over the head with a broom, but luckily Grandpa saved me. I had no idea he knew Japanese. 

"That's sad, but when are you coming back?" 

"Later on today."

I asked her what time it was over there, and she told me that it was 12 o' clock. Usually she would be at work by that time, and I was wondering what was wrong. Mom never misses a day of work if she doesn't have to. "Momma, why aren't you at work?" She sighed, "When you left, I started to feel sick. Maybe it's just a cold or something." I nodded, "Alright." Still, that was weird. I hadn't been saying anything about it, but I realize that she's starting to feel sick at random times. One time, late at night, I heard her throwing up. As much as I wanted to help, I decided against it, knowing she would give me some bullshit answer. 

"Baby, you need to get your sleep. When you come back, we can do something, okay?" 

"Alright," I smiled. 

"I love you, King." 

"I love you too, Ma." 

Hanging up, I tossed my phone back on the bed, plopping down onto the fluffy, white sheets. I flipped over onto my back, closing my eyes. Once I had shut my eyes, I was off to sleep. Everything was a blur, like a movie as we departed from the hotel when it was time, getting on the plane. I believe I fell asleep on the plane or that I barely had my eyes open, because when I woke up, we were driving home. Mom let me sleep some more when I got back, and when I woke up for the third time today, dinner was ready. 

I rubbed my eyes, looking at Mom as she placed my plate in front of me, giving her a smile. She kissed my forehead, rubbing my back. Brandon came from the back, sitting across from me at the table. "I'm surprised you're up," he grinned, "you've been asleep ever since you go home." I waved him off, beginning to eat. "Don't bother him, Brandon, he's tired." I turned my attention to Mom, and she smiled at me.

She looked tired. Maybe it was the illness she had that was making her look that way, but..her skin was kind of glowing, at the same time. Something was different about her, I just couldn't determine what. 

Mom and Brandon made small talk, while I simply listened to them. I didn't really care what they were talking about, I was just content that I could eat without being bothered. 

"How did things go with X in Japan?" Mom asked me, making Brandon look at me. I shook my head, "It was alright..Grandpa nearly killed him, though." I heard her sigh, and Brandon grinned. "He's always been like that," he said. I decided to tell her about what X had told us, since it seemed like she was looking for a deeper explanation as to why Grandpa got so upset. 

I sighed, "You're going to flip but.."

"Go ahead and tell me.."

"Martin..he might not be dead, after all."