:05:

When Kiran could finally stand instead of some magical force yanking her forward without giving her time to catch her balance, the red light had disappeared, leaving her in darkness.

She gave herself the credit that she didn't immediately go into panic. Her hands balled into fists, her right wrist glowing. Her golden light grew, illuminating the room around her.

She was surprised to find a parlor room, furnished elegantly in ebony-brown and deep red, rather than a stone-cold medieval torture chamber.

Klarion snickered at her surprise, "I may be Chaos, but it doesn't mean I'm an animal," He snickered. Teekl the cat meowed unpleasantly.

"Shut up," He shoved the furry tabby off his shoulder, and she paraded off with he rtail held high as he scoured the shelves full of books that lined the wall.

As he muttered to himself, Kiran took a peek of her own. He didn't seem to mind her curiosity that much.

"You have the Ramayana?" She asked. She traced the spine of her favorite childhood story. The book looked exactly like the one Her parents used to read to her at bedtime.

"There's books from every century of the world over here, doesn't mean all of 'em are useful," Klarion grimaced, pulling a copy of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" from the shelf and throwing them at a sleeping Teekl.

The book was halfway to her, turning end over end in the air, when she turned her head just so slightly, and eviscerated the book into a stream of ashes with a breath of fire from her mouth. Just like a dragon.

Kiran tucked the Ramayana under her shawl, just in case. She could use a bit of homely comfort right about now.

"Ah-ha!" Klarion shrieked from above her head. Kiran looked up, and discovered that the parlor/library was somewhat like a tower, extending up higher and higher, far beyond her sight.

Klarion was halfway up what she could see, another ancient, leather-bound book in his hands. He vanished, and reappeared in one of the cozy easy chairs, motioning for Kiran to sit in the other one.

"Here we are, Photomancy and Greater Uses, by Ahzif, fifth century B.C.E, India, Sikkim regions." He placed the book on the table between them for Kiran to admire.

"Photomancy? Are we using a camera or something?"

"No, you idiot!" Klarion slapped her hand away as Kiran reached out to touch the book.

"Photomancy is the manipulation of light, through magic. We're not taking pictures on your stupid little cell phone here, girlie, your working with me now, you don't have time for insta-chat or face-blur or whatever people are doing this days."

He pointed to the golden raised letters on the cover. "You are meant for greater uses."

Kiran nodded and rubbed her wrist, gulping nervously at the reverence in his tone of voice. Was it supposed to go this well when you went undercover? Donna said it would take convincing to get Klarion to let her in, but it felt like being offered up by the Titans was the same as giving a five year-old a brand-new toy wrapped up in shining golden paper. A toy he would experiment with, test the limits of, and eventually break.

She shuddered, thinking of her little cousins' many headless and armless superhero action figures.

Klarion snapped his fingers, and Kiran tried not to imagine that that was the sound of Jai snapping the arm off of a plastic, painfully smiling Superman. The book floated in the air on red mana, turning through the pages back and forth until it stopped on the first chapter. The first page.

"Let's begin, shall we?" He grinned.

Teekl meowed, changing her sleeping position to the top of the desk for a better view. This would be interesting.

As if she had a choice.

It short but I really like it so I'll post it anyway and get on with the story