Chapter One

MILA STOOD FROM her seat as the train finally pulled into the station. Late, she thought to herself. Twenty damn minutes late. If she had been in a rush to get somewhere, Mila knew that she'd have been more annoyed at the delay. However, she really couldn't complain; it wasn't as if she was desperate to get home. On the contrary, she rather enjoyed the travelling part. 

She waited patiently for all the passengers to leave the carriage - which, by the look of it, was hardly any - before she made her way towards the door. She pulled her bag closer on her shoulder, consciously aware of the small group of men standing just behind her. Their hoods were pulled up, hiding their faces. She'd never liked the idea of people hiding their faces; it only made them look suspicious.

She hauled up her suitcase as she prepared to step onto the train, patting her pocket to double check that her ticket was still there. After pulling her belongings up onto the train, she turned left into the nearest compartment in the carriage. It was empty, and she let out a relieved sigh. Mila wasn't looking forward to the long journey back to London, and she was thankful that there was no one in her compartment  to chatter relentlessly during the travel. Visiting her parents had drained all of her energy and patience.

Her parents had lived in Glasgow for years, and only when Mila had turned nineteen, had she decided to move to London with Eddie and further her education in hopes of becoming a full time nurse. With top marks in all her science classes, Mila had set her sights on the career of medicine, like her father. Now, she was a University student nearing the end of her long and difficult education.

Shuffling into the compartment was trickier than Mila would have imagined. She tugged her suitcase in behind her with a huff and slid the door shut before collapsing down onto the cushioned blue bench against the wall. She released a sigh of relief and toed her heels off.

"Ow," she complained when noticing the redness on her skin. She stretched her toes, wincing at the pain that momentarily spread through her feet. Heels had never been her favourite type of footwear, but she loved feeling taller than she actually was at five foot two.

Mila reached across to the window and pulled the curtains shut, blocking out the sunshine as best she could before pulling out her mobile. Seven new messages flashed in her inbox and she scrolled through them with a sigh, her eyes drooping ever so slightly.

From: Joanna
What time do u think ur gonna b home 2nite?
U know I can't cook for shit xx

Mila laughed as she read her friend's message, understanding the text all too well. She tapped her way across the screen of her phone, bringing up the Skype app. She clicked on Joanna's name and waiting for her friend to answer.

"Hello!" Joanna said as soon as the picture came into focus. Mila smiled when seeing her best friend's messy hair and sleepy eyes. It was no secret that Joanna was a sleep lover.

"Did you just wake up?" Mila asked, laughing quietly.

Joanna yawned. "No, I just had a late night." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Eddie and I had sex."

"Ah," said Mila, giving her friend a sneaky grin. "How was it?"

"Well, we were both a little pissed, so I don't remember most of it... He makes the funniest face when he comes!"