Chapter 5. Welcome

I rested in my bed, not quite ready for the events of the day to happen yet. Salem may have made breakfast for me, But I just can't seem to pull myself out of bed. I couldn't close my eyes either, all I saw was sharp gnashing teeth, bloody claws, brown fur and scarred body of rippling muscles that looked like it could tear me apart if given the chance. He won't get a chance, right? Dane and Salem will protect me no matter what, right? As safe as I feel with them, I can't shake the feeling that thing gave me. After the fall, I went right to bed not even saying goodnight to Dane or Salem. What if that thing hurts them? It won't, right? It can't, I can't let it. My black bangs fell in my eyes as I pull myself into a sitting position. My pale hands rub the sleep out of my eyes before tapping my cheeks to wake myself up fully.

"Are you ok? Dane came over early to check on you." Salem said from outside my bedroom door.

"I'm fine." I sighed. My feet slid off the side of the bed and I stood, holding the bed to keep my legs stable until they could hold me up by themselves.

"You might want to be fully dressed when you come out here."

"I know!"

I slid into a black bra and tank top, black and white checkered print pants and a red half jacket. Black eyeshadow and eyeliner surround my eyes, red lip gloss covers my lips. I stepped out, too lazy to slip on my platform shoes. Dane, who was sitting on the couch stared at me, his brown eyes large with wonder.

"Hey," I mumble.

"Hey," he smiles. "You are tiny."

"I know, I've been told that my entire life."

"Are you ok?"

"I'll be fine. I always am in the end. So, when do we leave?"

"After you eat breakfast and actually brush your teeth. Not just swish mouthwash in your mouth." Salem poked his head out of the kitchen.

"Salem! I never did that!" my face revealed the truth by blushing bright red. Dane just laughed.

"It's ok, I've done that too," He winked.

"Food! Salem, can I have food?"

"Yes, I made you an omelet with toast and tea."

"Sounds amazing, let's eat!"

I took my first bite of the omelet and moaned. Who knew a guy who has been a cat for the past twenty-some years can cook like a pro? If I had known sooner, I would have asked him to make me food instead of making myself hot pockets and cereal.

"That good?" Salem asked, his yellow eyes watched me with a satisfied smirk.

"Yes! This is amazing! How can you cook this well after being a cat for so long?"

"I've been in this form much longer then I was as a cat. Plus, raising two siblings forces one to learn certain," he paused, searching for the right word, "skills."

"Can I learn these skills?"

Both Dane and Salem visibly shudder. They glare at each other in the eye as if mentally arguing who should be the one to say no. I ignore their mental battle and continue to eat the eggs.

"You can learn some of those skills, but I'm not sure you will appreciate others," Salem answered. "I'll even be the one to teach you."

"Wicked! I wanna kick ass and cook like a pro!" I throw my arms up in the air.

"Who said you kick ass?" Salem smirked.

"I did and you can't do anything to change my mind," I huffed childishly. I know I'm acting like a little kid.